Trusted Contributor

never would I ever live in Fla due to the many predators. yikes.

dee

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

When the first COVID vaccine became available, we were in Naples condo and had to drive over to Ft. Lauderdale for our shot.  Going over Alligator Alley was most uncomfortable: constantly searching the roadside for snakes and gators.  The " Python Crossing " sign didn't add to the long drive either !

Since your post mentioned proximity to the Glades, please be extra careful !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Snakes are what bad dreams are made of  in my world.  We had a road supervisor get struck by a copperhead and died from the bite,  I stepped over a snake laying on my WELCOME mat and no he was not welcome here.    I thought that I would have a heart attack as it scared me so badly.  Copperheads and water moccassins are so prevalent here in Mississippi.  Pray that Florida can outwit the pythons!

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols    I don't like them either but I'd love to see one of these huge pythons.  They must be a sight to behold.

When we lived in Texas, the piney woods area, I went out one night, set down the dog's food and there was a small copperhead right under my arm.  DH later killed a couple more in the same area, right outside our back doir.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@jlkz    I know of several roadside parks here in NM that warn visitors to watch for rattlesnakes.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Someone needs to develop a species-specific birth control formula which can be fed to the female snakes. That way their numbers will go down enough to manage them without too much harm. Maybe not possible today but might be on the horizon for future scientists.

@SilleeMee    Okay Ms. Chemist, get to work.

Valued Contributor

Sounds like you live in Fl?

The Next Door site has pics everyday where snakes are on their lanai's/

Near their pools , going up the driveway's.

I can't stand them, I don't care what they are good for.

I don't have time to run to my pc to see if they are good or bad.

If they are in or around my property, their heads are off!!

I was amazed at the anount of people here that say "oh they are good for mice and rats"...I have neither, I keep the Terminix Man in business.

I never knew when you chop off a snakes head, the mouth keeps moving.  :-0

Well I hope they capture those Big Boys, I would die if I saw one of those in my driveway.

Honored Contributor

Ick!  Just ICK!  Thanks to those that can handle this problem!!!

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Well,  once again, we're looking at human stupidity leading to an invading species. These python populations grew from those who got rid of their exotic pet when it became to much to handle, or perhaps escaped.

They probably threw out their baby alligator, goldfish and child's turtle, too. The let's free them mentality. 

It didn't take long for the python situation to be out of control. Now they have to be slaughtered on a regular basis for multiple environmental, health and safety reasons. What's sad is, that man is responsible for this mess in the first place.  

@BlueFinch 

No, they didn't throw out all that.  The pythons ate them and their children.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Boomernichols    I don't like them either but I'd love to see one of these huge pythons.  They must be a sight to behold.

When we lived in Texas, the piney woods area, I went out one night, set down the dog's food and there was a small copperhead right under my arm.  DH later killed a couple more in the same area, right outside our back doir.

@Kachina624  Never have seen one of these creatures in the wild, but did visit them at the SA Zoo. There's only one snake that is more impressive than the python -- the green anaconda. Scary, but still attractive, simply for its magnificence. 

I'll never get the image of that anaconda out of my mind. Still can't quite figure why we need 30ft snakes anywhere on the planet, but I didn't make the rules :-). And, they do make for good horror movies.