Honored Contributor

does anyone have one they can recommend?  

Super Contributor

You might check the dogquality website.  They have a variety of excellent products for dogs that need adaptations.  An excellent company to deal with, too.

Honored Contributor

After MUCH research we bought a ramp for our collie. Sorry not a small dog. He would not go near the ramp. He would not touch the ramp. If we picked him up and put him on the ramp he scrambed to get off the ramp. Tried numerous times with the same result.

So see if you can try out a ramp before you buy. And see if your dog will even attempt to walk on it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'd love some advice, too. We spent money on a custom ramp for our elderly beagle. I also purchased two different sets of steps so that Maddie could safely get into our bed. As they say in NYC, "foggedaboudit." She refuses to use any of the assistance we have provided.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Smallish dog and a ramp

[ Edited ]

Just google dog ramps and there are hundreds of them. I bought one from AtoZ and I wanted one that was 16" high so it could reach the top of the bed.  I had steps before, but then I had to give her a boost to get to the top of the bed. My dog weighs 39 lbs. so that was an effort. Here is a picture of the one I bought. It is sturdy. You could probably do with a smaller one. However, be prepared for them to hate the ramp. I had one for my german shepherd and she would jump into the car right Next to the ramp. My pug has to be walked up and down and jumps off before she gets to the bottom.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't know if this is helpful, but try calling Chewy and see if they can recommend something.  They are very accommodating and will try to help you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Smallish dog and a ramp

[ Edited ]

I have a couple sets of stairs made by Pet Gear. They are sturdy and have easy assembly. I got them from Chewy for my golden. They make them for all size dogs plus they make a ramp, too. This is what I have:

Pet Gear Easy Step II Extra Wide

images.jpg

Here's their ramp:

download.jpg

Respected Contributor

We had doggy stairs up to our bed. The yorkie (RIP) scampered up and down. The Pom mix went into a panic just being near them- refused to use. The chihuahua mix can easily jump onto furniture but was terrified of the steps. You would do well to borrow from someone and see if your dog will even try it, before you spend any money. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  I bought a ramp for my lab and she wouldn't go near it.  She still wanted to sleep on the bed, and my bed is pretty tall, I ended up with a shorter "end of the bed" bench at the bottom of the bed that she could get on and then she got on the bed from bench. The height of the bench was about 50% of the height of the bed.

I don't know if the ramp I bought seemed too narrow, or too small or too steep, but if you are able to get a shorter bench and your dog can reach, they may use it like mine did.   If you see a bench (mine was upholstered), that has screw on legs, you could always remove the legs if the bench is too high.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Yes, like someone mentioned, she balked at steps we got at quite a large expense once and she never would use them.

So, we're rethinking and thinking about it awhile longer.  The picture above, or before, would have been for our Yorkie. Like the one in the picture. 

Thanks everyone!!