Regular Contributor

I wonder if any oft you have had issues with your dog's skin.  My 13-1/2 year old resuce - spaniel and bijon mix - has developed some kind of skin problem.   It feels like little bumps - all over her back and sides.

When I get her groomed, whatever they are, gets shaved off.  Then

They grow back. 
She has been on 2 trials of antibiotics with no improvement.  She has recently had a biopsy which showed "allergic dermititis". 

We are now bathing her twice a week with a medicated shampoo.  That does help get rid of the "bumps" but they are still there.  I've changed her food also to a hyperallergenic brand with the hope that this will generate some improvement.

These "bumps" don't seem to bother her a bit.  SHe's not scratching and she's her usual sweet self.

Anybody??????

Thanks

Respected Contributor

Need more information please.  by that description it could be anything from matted fur to sabatious cysts to fleas.  It is interesting that the Bumps can be shaved off.   Is there any discharge from them and that is what is removed with grooming?  Are the bumps various sizes or like pimples all over her?  If this is a new problem for her, think about what has changed in her environment that might be contributing to her dermatitis.  New home? New bed? New rugs?  fertilizer in the yard?  Maybe aTopical Treatment she's started on?  Remember for a limited ingredient / hypoallergenic food Trial to be considered successful or not she Can not have ANYTHING other than that food for at least a month  No treats from the table and let your friends know she can't have treats either Pups are SO good at wheedling that cookie.

It's good the shampoo is helping. Remember to leave her suddsed up for about 10 minutes before she is rinsed off.  wrapping her up with an old beach towel will keep the lather from getting all over everything as the treatment works.  Hope you have success clearing her up.

Esteemed Contributor

You apparently have had her to the vet, they would be in a much better position to help you then a shopping channe; message board.  However since it does not seem to bother her at all, I would not be to concerned unless it got worse.  Dogs can get all sorts of odd growths as they get older, most are harmless.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Our GSD (female) has these. We think it's a result of her 24/7 allergy pill that she requires. The vet checks them out on each visit. Our dog has super sensitive skin--allergies to dust, dirt and grass.  I use special shampoo and rinse on her and that helps. You need to  be careful with amount of bathing for the dog because with sensitive skin it can dry out very quickly. Medication can have similar effects in dogs the same as people. Make sure she is hydrating. Our dog would rather not give up her spot to her brother than get a drink. Siblings.

Honored Contributor

@hick   I would check with your Vet and make sure that it's okay that those bumps are being shaved off.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your responses.

Yes, she's been to the vet - that's where the antibiotics came from.

No, she doesn't have fleas.

Yes, the vet knows about the grooming.

As to why I would post a question on a "shopping channel".. - That's kind of snarkey - I don't think of these forums as just "shopping channel" forums.

People are mostly very supportive and often have good ideas.

SO thank you everyone who was kind enough to reply.

I appreciate it.