Honored Contributor

Frankie is 7 years old and has never had a skin problem.  Her hair now looks like it’s thinning in several places.  The skin isn’t red, and it doesn’t look like there are parasites or anything.  What could this be?  I think I’ll take her to the Vet next week but don’t know what they can tell me.  I’m attaching a picture so you can see the two places I’m talking about.  There’s another area on her other side.  It's not exactly falling out.  It's just strange.  I don't know how to explain it other than with a picture.

IMG_1408.JPG

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Skin Problem For Frankie

that is odd. and, it's in a place where he couldn't really be scratching it.   it's odd, its a circle as well.  flakey or anything? could he be rubbing up against something? because it itches? 

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo  She doesn't scratch it, and I don't see her rubbing up against anything.  It's so strange.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  i would be most concerned about it because its a circle. (ringworm or a parasite) he could have just sniffed something.  personally, i would keep a close eye on it.  if it gets red, or flaky, or another spot starts developing,  i would be whisking him off to the vet. 

Regular Contributor

the very first thing i thought when I saw the circle was ring worm. is there any rough skin within the circle? if it is ringworm, you do want to treat. she can transmit to others, including humans. hope i am wrong!

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo @graciesmom1003   I thought about ringworm, too, but there's no rough skin, flakes or anything.  It's so strange.  I think I'll take her to the Vet just to see if they can tell me anything.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack...could it possibly be a reaction to everything going on with her eye...meds, stress, etc?

One thing I know for certain, is eye drops are absorbed into the system.   Just something to consider...also,have you looked up side effects of her meds, and, or her eye problems?  Hope you get to the bottom of it, I know how concerning it is when our babies have issues. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@kittyloo @graciesmom1003   I thought about ringworm, too, but there's no rough skin, flakes or anything.  It's so strange.  I think I'll take her to the Vet just to see if they can tell me anything.

Definitely go to vet.  And btw redness and itchiness not necessarily associated with ringworm.  But it could be a handful of other things too.  Vet may do a skin scrape, bloodwork.  

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  I did wonder if it could have to do with her immune deficiency disease with her eyes or her eye drops.  I looked up side effects to the eye drops, and they're all eye related.  This eye disease isn't supposed to affect any other part of her body, but it does make me wonder if it's related.

@Shawnie  I made an appt. with the Vet for Wednesday.  She's spending the day at the Vet in day care on Monday while I go out of town, but I want to be present for the appointment so didn't want them to examine her without me.  I'll be anxious to see what she says.

-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Hi... I have a daushund and a toy cocker spaniel.  Was feeding them Neutro Max and noticed the same thing.  I switched to grain free Neutro with limited ingedients and have not had a problem since.   Hope this helps.