Valued Contributor

Re: Should I be feeding a feral cat???

Yes, I have a feral I feed. He lives outside, I have a shelter fror him in winter and summer. By virtue of their life they don't live that long so why not make a few of their days easier by giving them food. Be careful of birds, they love catfood too. Put it out at a certain time and then take the dish back in. If you do not feed them, they will have to hunt and kill birds, so you are helping in that regard too.Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

I paid $25.00 for a feral cat colony caretaker license... I can feed them legally. You are right people always want to complain, but the feeder didnt make the cat come around, the feeder is just a person trying to be humane. I had my cats go through catch , fix, release program.

Respected Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I have left over food from kitty when he passed and I hear a cat outside about once a month. I heard him/her the other night and decided to put out some food on the porch. The food was gone in the morning but wasn't sure who ate it.

Last night a cat was back meowing when she spotted the food. I had already put more food out there with some water. I heard the cat and went to peek out the door. A beautiful white cat with spots was eating but moved away when she saw me. I went outside and called but she wouldn't come to me and ran off. This morning the food was gone again.

I am pretty sure this is one of three cats I saw running down the street in the freezing weather this winter, so there were two others at the time.

There is no way I could take the cat in because of medical reasons and having my dog still, so I don't know if I should continue feeding her. I can't capture her and do all that goes with it so should I stop while I am ahead. I don't want to make it worse? She looks pretty darn healthy so she is eating and may belong to someone but I seriously doubt it.

3 plus years later I look up my old thread lol I now have 5 feral cats in my house that I trapped on the porch. They are all inside kitties now and are wonderful pets.

I trapped my first one in 2014, his two babies, one little girl last November and one old feral in Jan. of this year. I can't tell you how happy they are...

Esteemed Contributor

When I was in my other house, we had a female feral cat. I named her Maxina. I fed her twice a day and I would talk to her. Eventually she let me pet her and then carry her. I had her fix as she would get pregnant often but I could never get to the babies and then they'd just disappear. The people that bought my house still feed her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 I feed 2 Feral cats every night, I have even purchased a warming house and bed and a heated food and water bowl for them, they will not let us near them, but we keep trying.  I could never not feed an animal in need, that is just not who I am!  Now the neighbors cat is coming over too, they are not very responsible pet owners, they do not spay their cats and let them run around the neighborhood, and one day they came over and told me they were leaving for the weekend, but could not find their cat so would I mind keeping an eye out for her and feed her and give her water, they did not know where she was and they just left? I looked all weekend for her, but never saw her, they came home and I asked them about their cat, seems she was locked in the house somewhere that they did not see her?  I was frantic for their cat for 3 days, she comes over every night for food and water, I cannot tun her away?

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@luvmyteddy4 I feed 2 Feral cats every night, I have even purchased a warming house and bed and a heated food and water bowl for them, they will not let us near them, but we keep trying.  I could never not feed an animal in need, that is just not who I am!  Now the neighbors cat is coming over too, they are not very responsible pet owners, they do not spay their cats and let them run around the neighborhood, and one day they came over and told me they were leaving for the weekend, but could not find their cat so would I mind keeping an eye out for her and feed her and give her water, they did not know where she was and they just left? I looked all weekend for her, but never saw her, they came home and I asked them about their cat, seems she was locked in the house somewhere that they did not see her?  I was frantic for their cat for 3 days, she comes over every night for food and water, I cannot tun her away?

@CareBears  It's SO irresponsible to not spray or neuter your pet, especially when it's outside.  I hope that cat had food and water for it in the house.  Three days is way too long to go without both.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  I know, but what really bothered me, they just left without even knowing where she was!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@NickNack  I know, but what really bothered me, they just left without even knowing where she was!

@CareBears  I don't understand that.  I could never do that either.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

luvmyteddy wrote:

luvmyteddy wrote:

I have left over food from kitty when he passed and I hear a cat outside about once a month. I heard him/her the other night and decided to put out some food on the porch. The food was gone in the morning but wasn't sure who ate it.

Last night a cat was back meowing when she spotted the food. I had already put more food out there with some water. I heard the cat and went to peek out the door. A beautiful white cat with spots was eating but moved away when she saw me. I went outside and called but she wouldn't come to me and ran off. This morning the food was gone again.

I am pretty sure this is one of three cats I saw running down the street in the freezing weather this winter, so there were two others at the time.

There is no way I could take the cat in because of medical reasons and having my dog still, so I don't know if I should continue feeding her. I can't capture her and do all that goes with it so should I stop while I am ahead. I don't want to make it worse? She looks pretty darn healthy so she is eating and may belong to someone but I seriously doubt it.

3 plus years later I look up my old thread lol I now have 5 feral cats in my house that I trapped on the porch. They are all inside kitties now and are wonderful pets.

I trapped my first one in 2014, his two babies, one little girl last November and one old feral in Jan. of this year. I can't tell you how happy they are...

@luvmyteddy4, well, I guess this would be a 'mission accomplished'.  Cat HappyCat HappyCat HappyCat HappyCat HappyHeart

You certainly have a quite a fur family.  It sounds that not only are they are happy to be with you ... you are happy to have them.   

I'm hoping that you were able to get them all spayed/neutered.

What names did you give each one? 

I hope you continue enjoying your furbabies.

Respected Contributor

@mzlg wrote:

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

@luvmyteddy4, well, I guess this would be a 'mission accomplished'.  Cat HappyCat HappyCat HappyCat HappyCat HappyHeart

You certainly have a quite a fur family.  It sounds that not only are they are happy to be with you ... you are happy to have them.   

I'm hoping that you were able to get them all spayed/neutered.

What names did you give each one? 

I hope you continue enjoying your furbabies.

I started trapped years ago with doing TNR work. All the kitties are spayed & neutered of course.

I have Big Papa, Tarzan, Titan, Sissy & Buddy

Tarzan & Titan are Big Papa's own babies, their mom took off too fast after she was done nursing them & I was not able to trap her.

I was trying to Buddy last Nov when I ended up with Sissy instead who was only 5 months old at the time.

Buddy is an older feral who was extremely hard to trap but I finally got him in January. It took me 6 more months of trying to socialize him on the porch before he was ready to come in. I got him inside in June & while not happy at first, he has become one of the family and everyone loves him.

Buddy still smacks me once in awhile but better all the time. lol

If a feral shows up on my front porch then I will do everything in my power to trap & get them inside.

Happy Ending...