Honored Contributor

Shelter Dog Is Adopted After 5 Years in Shelter

Seamus the pit bull mix has a lot to be thankful for this Christmas ... he got adopted after spending 5 years in a shelter.

The 9-year-old pooch was scooped up at the Fresno Bully Rescue after spending half his life in a cage at the facility.

It's a no-kill rescue shelter that houses 40 dogs. The folks at the shelter have placed a number of other animals in foster homes.

As for Seamus, it's a Godsend. He's had trouble handling the weather of late ... the winter is too cold and the summers are too hot for him. Now he has a home and lots of comfort.

A little about Seamus ... he loves doughnut holes, taking long walks and pilfering toys out of the shelter bin on he way back to his cage.

Rescues rule! Merry Christmas, Seamus!!!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Shelter Dog Is Adopted After 5 Years in Shelter

Wonderful Christmas gift for Seamus and family!

Esteemed Contributor

That's wonderful. All but one if my beagles was a rescue. The beagle we have now was three years old when we found her at a rescue kennel. She had been given up by an elderly couple who could no longer care for her. She is the perfect dog for us. We bonded immediately. She's almost ten now and continues to give us immeasurable joy.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian 

My Kingston is a rescue too, they're my favorite breed!

DD just adopted a young pit mix from Animal Control last week, which is a kill facility (unfortunately) and he was marked for euthanasia only due to his breed.

He's blending with his new family (8 indoor, formerly feral cats) beautifully!

The cats were raised with another pit mix that sadly passed away from cancer 2 years ago and they were happy to welcome their new brother!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

So happy for Seamus 🤗

Honored Contributor

Two rescues at my house.  I hope Seamus is able to adjust to living in a home and the adoption "takes".  The first few weeks can be rough on a rescue getting used to new ways of doing things.  Some people have no patience.  One of mine is still testing me after 2 years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom Well now I've had my "Christmas cry"!! What a wonderful story. Rescues are the best, be they cats, dogs or any other animal. They *know* that you have saved them and they love you without reserve. I firmly believe this.

I have a tee shirt I bought from Purrfect Pals here in WA state. It has a cat on the front and says "Rescued Is My Favorite Breed."

All our cats were found strays or adopted from a shelter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids 

LOL! I have the same tee with a dog on the front and the same saying!

I agree with you, rescues of any kind are the best!

Contributor

Please forgive me for posting here on such a joyous occasion but I do not know how to post my own  original topic.  On Christmas Eve my grandaughter's little toy white poodle got out and wandered off.  She hasn't been seen since. They have been searching frantically. Talked to neighbors and made calls. This is in Illinois in mt greenwood area near Chicago.  You never know who might be a qvc blogger.. please keep a eye out.  God bless.

Regular Contributor

Awww, warms my heart. Sounds like he went from 5 years at a county shelter then to a local rescue then adopted by the couple in the photo if I understood that right.  That's a long time but hopefully he got some time and socializing with the rescue group.  And if it doesn't "take" they will take him back.  And they are usually more careful about who they let adopt than a county shelter, that's for sure. I hope it's a truly happy furever home.

Our Mosey (a pittie mix maybe?) was a stray just wandering around picked up by animal control and taken to our county shelter.  But she was only there for 3 days when I came by  ready to adopt at just the right time to find her.  They didn't have any info on her as she was not an owner surrender.  But our best guess is she was owned and loved by a homeless man according to some folks we know who thought they recognized her and remembered seeing her with a homeless guy for several years.  We do wonder what happened to him. Probably in jail or rehab or died, we'll never really know.  

We named her Mosey and she has been our girl now for 3 years and 3 mos and 5 days.  It took only about a week for her to feel comfortable here in our home and she was already completely house trained too.  She is our world and our only family within thousands of mile. Pretty sure she knows how much she is loved and treasured by her "new" mom and dad.