Honored Contributor

Sharing this from a facebook QVC group about cats and minoxidil that is in Keranique

[ Edited ]

I think it is an important message  to share.  This does not affect dogs.. as their bodies can break it down... just cats...

from Wikipedia :

Minoxidil is suspected to be highly toxic to cats, even in small doses, as there are reported cases of cats dying shortly after coming in contact with minimal amounts of the substance.

148993938_3656266537741718_4339118965803535535_n.jpg

CAT OWNERS
I just want to let you know that minoxidil that is in Keranique is poisonous to cats. It is like antifreeze to them. Cats can die if they lick the product. They can die from licking your pillow case or if the product falls on the floor ect.
My hair is thinning and I was told by a dermatologist to use rogaine/minoxidil. My cat licked my head hours after i put it on. (the first day I ever used it) then i googled to see if she would be okay. It was not okay. I called animal poison control and as soon as i told her what happens she said take your cat to the vet now! She didn't even make me pay the fee they charge because i needed to take my cat ASAP. She got charcoal down her throat and was on IV fluids all day.. Thankfully she made it.
I do animal rescue and I have never heard that minoxidil can kill your cat. I don't know why this isn't common knowledge. Everyone needs to know this. My vet never knew until this happened to me. She is the one who compared it to antifreeze.
Honored Contributor

Re: Sharing this from a facebook QVC group about cats and minoxidil that is in Keranique

I'm really shocked and frankly pizzed that this hasn't been more widely publicized. I don't use it, but there are many women and men that do. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

Re: Sharing this from a facebook QVC group

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting this.We often don't really  think  about pet kissing and licks.I am hyper aware because my boy Basil, a shihtzu, loves to kiss and will lick my arm or hand,face leg.I no longer use retin a ,or lotions or ointments unless I can kinda of cover it or be vigilant about the licks.Scarey stuff thst we often don't give a second thought to.Same with cleaning products on floors..Thanks again.Great post.May save someones sweetie.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sharing this from a facebook QVC group about cats and minoxidil that is in Keranique

Thanks for posting @SeaMaiden- so important!

DH (a veterinarian) is always amazed at what people will use on or around their pets that is the latest, trendiest thing. Today, with so many additives or preservatives in products we use and love, it is especially important to pay attention.

When I was a teenager I would take our kitty in the shower with me and wash her with Clairol Herbal Essence! She "tolerated" it, but was used to it and didn't try too hard to get away. We did have a sliding door, so it wasn't like she could get out under a curtain! When I think about that now I can't believe I did that!  

Thanks again for making us all aware of something so important!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden -

Thank you for this important info!

So many things that cats are sensitive too. Fragrances and plug ins and candles too.

But not only cats!-here are some of the side effects for humans with keranique!

Stop use and ask a doctor if
  • chest pain, rapid heartbeat, faintness, or dizziness occurs.
  • sudden, unexplained weight gain occurs.
  • your hand or feet swell.
  • scalp irritation or redness occurs.
  • unwanted facial hair growth occurs.
  • you do not see hair regrowth in 4 months.

(not worth it!)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

Also be very careful with any facial, body or hair products that contain tea tree oil.

Respected Contributor

My cat means more to me than anything else, including my hair. Thank you Sea Maiden

Honored Contributor

Re: Sharing this from a facebook QVC group

@ohbygolly wrote:

Thank you for posting this.We often don't really  think  about pet kissing and licks.I am hyper aware because my boy Basil, a shihtzu, loves to kiss and will lick my arm or hand,face leg.I no longer use retin a ,or lotions or ointments unless I can kinda of cover it or be vigilant about the licks.Scarey stuff thst we often don't give a second thought to.Same with cleaning products on floors..Thanks again.Great post.May save someones sweetie.

@ohbygolly   I never use cleaners like 409 or the like for just that reason. I only use non toxic cleaners in my home.  Seventh generation makes many good cleaning products that are pet and people safe....and they kill germs too!🙂

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this @SeaMaiden .  I don't use it, but some people reading this might.  It's scary!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I'm really shocked and frankly pizzed that this hasn't been more widely publicized. I don't use it, but there are many women and men that do. 

@stevieb.  I wonder if there's a warning on t h e bottnle?  There certainly should be.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment