Contributor
I adopted a long haired chihuahua. Brought him home on Friday. He's 2 years old. He's such a good dog. Well behaved and minds really good. But he has separation anxiety really bad. I have him the n the bedroom right now because I have cats and I want to introduce them slowly. Even though I'm home allot and can spend allot of time with him, Everytime I leave the bedroom, even for just a minute he starts screaming and whining. I'll leave the bedroom for an hour and he cries the whole time. Is there something I can do to get him through this? Or will it just take time. The previous owner never mentioned this. He only had him about 3 months.
Honored Contributor

Re: Separation anxiety

[ Edited ]

@Susan423wrote:
I adopted a long haired chihuahua. Brought him home on Friday. He's 2 years old. He's such a good dog. Well behaved and minds really good. But he has separation anxiety really bad. I have him the n the bedroom right now because I have cats and I want to introduce them slowly. Even though I'm home allot and can spend allot of time with him, Everytime I leave the bedroom, even for just a minute he starts screaming and whining. I'll leave the bedroom for an hour and he cries the whole time. Is there something I can do to get him through this? Or will it just take time. The previous owner never mentioned this. He only had him about 3 months.

@Susan423  If your new dog is crate trained, put him in there with an article of your worn clothing w/ your scent on it (I usually use a ripe gym tee shirt). Sometimes it comforts them. If the other owner had him only 3 months and he’s only been with you a few days, that’s a lot of changes for the poor thing. He’s probably worried when you leave the room, that he’ll be sent somewhere else.

Honored Contributor

Have you googled the topic?  It's a common problem so I'm sure there's a ton of information about it online.  I've had many, many dogs, some with problems, but none with separation anxiety.  Best to get it resolved as they can cause a lot of damage to your furniture and house.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor
Thanks guys. I was thinking the same. I don't know how many other times he was moved around before this last guy. But this is his last home. He's not going anywhere else😉
Honored Contributor

Bless your heart, @Susan423.  I hope you can get a handle on his problem.  In 2015, I adopted a dog that wouldn't get in the car because she'd been moved around so much she was afraid she'd be shipped to another home.  When I got her she literally clung to the legs of the transport person like a bear to a tree trunk.  I had to pry her off.  She has settled down now and seems glad she came.  Let us know how it goes.

Esteemed Contributor

There is lots of information out there and everyone will give you what may or may not have worked for them.  Suggest talking to your vet concerning a behaviorist.  A good one will know many different methods of working with your dog and his issues.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Your furbaby is going through a lot of changes.  I adopted a puppy mill rescue  with the same issues.  It got better as time went on.  One thing I noticed was when my daughter, son or sister were present, she could be left alone with them and she was fine.  He misses the security that comes from being around you.  I would definitely look into ways to get him past this.  Look online, talk to your vet or a dog trainer.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Susan423, in addition to the very good suggestions already given you might try Adaptil to help calm and reassure him. Adaptil is available as a spray, in a diffuser and as a collar.  I would suggest both the spray and the a diffuser; spray his bed when you are leaving him alone for a period time.

As difficult as it may be steel yourself against giving in to the screaming, whining and crying as that will only reinforce the behavior and when you are together don't dote on him.  Give him attention, of course, but babying and doting would contribute to the problem.  He needs confidence building and reassurance that you will be back.  Be careful though, an overly confident Chi (a/k/a I am the boss) can be even more difficult to cope with than a scared, anxious one LOL.

As others have said he has gone through a lot of changes in a short period of time.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisywrote:

There is lots of information out there and everyone will give you what may or may not have worked for them.  Suggest talking to your vet concerning a behaviorist.  A good one will know many different methods of working with your dog and his issues.

@CrazyDaisy@Susan423. That's a good idea because sometimes medication will help.

Valued Contributor

Try a radio with soothing music or talk.  I think it helps.