Trusted Contributor

@charlestownliz  I forgot to mention in my last post to you how sorry I am for the loss of your loving companion of so many years. I know how heartbreaking it is.

Litter boxes aren’t so bad if you keep up on it. Each time our cat leaves solid waste, usually twice a day, we clean it out right away. I’ve heard of people letting it just keep piling up. Ugh, that would make me physically ill, too. Would doing this twice a day bother you too much? 

Maybe you and your veterinarian could find a kitten/cat that you could “foster” for a week (trial period) to see how well (or not) you can handle the situation? That way, at least you’ll know for certain.

If you can handle once or twice a day removal of solid waste and the clumped litter from urine, there are disposable litter boxes. You could put a liner in it, as it’s a cardboard-type product.

Please let us know how things work out for you and your next possible snuggle buddy.  I wish you much luck! 💜

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

@charlestownliz 

Welcome to the forums.

Maybe you can try the natural cat litters.  I've never purchased it for my 2 girls.  I've always used either Fresh Step or Arm & Hammer brands.  They've never been bothered by either one.

Many possibilities when letting your cats outdoors; i.e.,  they have a tendency to not have as long a life, hit by cars, attacked by other animals & may be taken in by others for their own pet.  If you do take it out, please use a leash/harness as I do.

I hope you are able to welcome a homeless furbaby in your hope.  Good luck,

Honored Contributor

I use to have cats... I even had 3 at one time.  I do think the cat box is the one down side to cat ownership... and I do not miss the cat box at all even today 20 years since having a cat. 

The onlything I can think of is to have the Cat Box in an out of the way far away place.  Mine was in the basement bathroom next to the dryer. It helped with the smells... and the litter that escapes out of the door.  You do have to clean it EVERYDAY.... regardless

I had one cat that would pee out the door of the cat box.  That was a mess!  She never got the idea of pointing head towards the doorway.... so she peed right out the door. YUCK.  

Contributor

I would NEVER let my cats outside. Too many dangers for them. If I were you I'd research various litter boxes and litters. They aren't all the same.

Honored Contributor

Do not let a cat outdoors, for sure coyotes will get them ,if not that a car will get them ,my brother and his wife have cats , one they would let out at night!!! And one day he never came back ,then another they let out same thing happened.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.