Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Second Training Lesson With Ava

@NickNack wrote:

The trainer came today for our second and final lesson.  She thinks Ava has made remarkable progress since she was here last week.  She showed me a few commands and things to do with her to build her confidence.  We went outside with her to practice them, and Ava is very comfortable and seems confident when she's outside.  We walked down the street just a short way and she saw how much she enjoyed walking.

She had her eating treats from her hand ten minutes after she was here.  She's so good with her.  She does think she was abused in some way at the second breeder's house she was with.  She doesn't think she would be this way normally unless she just was never socialized at all, which is possible.  I did meet one of the breeder's other dogs, though, and she was very social and friendly.

I think I know enough now to go it on my own with what she taught me.  This trainer has training classes, too.  They are very small with only four dogs in a class.  I think I'll take Ava to classes in the fall.  I'm very glad I called her.  She thinks this will eventually get better with Ava and Henry.  I didn't really think they would ever be friends, but she thinks they could be.  She will always be a shy and timid dog, of course.

So happy to hear that Ava is making good progress. She was lucky to find the perfect home for her. I hope we get to see some pictures of her soon. Continued good luck in her training.

Honored Contributor

Re: Second Training Lesson With Ava

@Luvtuna wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

The trainer came today for our second and final lesson.  She thinks Ava has made remarkable progress since she was here last week.  She showed me a few commands and things to do with her to build her confidence.  We went outside with her to practice them, and Ava is very comfortable and seems confident when she's outside.  We walked down the street just a short way and she saw how much she enjoyed walking.

She had her eating treats from her hand ten minutes after she was here.  She's so good with her.  She does think she was abused in some way at the second breeder's house she was with.  She doesn't think she would be this way normally unless she just was never socialized at all, which is possible.  I did meet one of the breeder's other dogs, though, and she was very social and friendly.

I think I know enough now to go it on my own with what she taught me.  This trainer has training classes, too.  They are very small with only four dogs in a class.  I think I'll take Ava to classes in the fall.  I'm very glad I called her.  She thinks this will eventually get better with Ava and Henry.  I didn't really think they would ever be friends, but she thinks they could be.  She will always be a shy and timid dog, of course.

So happy to hear that Ava is making good progress. She was lucky to find the perfect home for her. I hope we get to see some pictures of her soon. Continued good luck in her training.

Thank you @Luvtuna .  I just posted two pictures of her in a new thread called "Pictures Of Ava."

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau