Honored Contributor

@kittycatmeow wrote:

Check out your local animal shelter.  There are so many wonderful unwanted and abused animals there that need loving furever homes.  Please adopt don't shop.  😻

@kittycatmeow So do you want breeds of dogs and other animals to disappear?  Will we not have terriers and poodles and other dogs?  Just mixed breeds?  

It makes me very very said that I think in a few decades all of these wonderful animals won't exist any more.  Characteristics and tempers and specifics bred into dogs and other animals over centuries won't exist.

Even now you see dogs in shelters sometimes being very weighted toward a breed or two and that's about all.

I just wonder if we will not have a collie in a few decades, or a spaniel?  I think that will be a great loss to the world. 

Trusted Contributor

@MILKI  I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend and your beloved Micki. What a horrible double whammy. Take care of yourself and good luck on your search for a Westie.❤️

Regular Contributor

Go to puppyfind dot com.  You can search by location.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@kittycatmeow wrote:

Check out your local animal shelter.  There are so many wonderful unwanted and abused animals there that need loving furever homes.  Please adopt don't shop.  😻

@kittycatmeow So do you want breeds of dogs and other animals to disappear?  Will we not have terriers and poodles and other dogs?  Just mixed breeds?  

It makes me very very said that I think in a few decades all of these wonderful animals won't exist any more.  Characteristics and tempers and specifics bred into dogs and other animals over centuries won't exist.

Even now you see dogs in shelters sometimes being very weighted toward a breed or two and that's about all.

I just wonder if we will not have a collie in a few decades, or a spaniel?  I think that will be a great loss to the world. 

@Sooner   I very much agree with you.  I would hate to see all the distinctive characteristics and temperment of specific breeds disappear.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Searching for a WESTIE

[ Edited ]

I also completely support high quality breeders!

Here in Philly the majority of "rescue" dogs for adoption are pit bulls.  They may be good for some people, but as a cat owner as well, I would NEVER bring an adult dog into my house and risk my cats' lives.

I buy pure-bred puppies only because that way they will adapt to the cats, and I know the temperment of the breeds in advance and can tailor my training to their personalities.

Yes, I have both rescue cats and pure-bred cats. I love long-haired cats, and most of them available are pure-bred. I have rescue parakeets, purchased parakeets, and home-born parakeets.

We are all one big happy family.

(By the way, some breeders will allow you to get on a waiting list for the next litter, and then you can pick from the new babies.  Perhaps a breeder in your area has that option for a future litter.)

Regular Contributor

Love our little guy.wish you were in Florida. Have a great breeder here.

D8EFE2A3-E11B-4237-828C-6E02744E962D.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@MILKI   OMG ... SENDING YOU THE BIGGEST HUG.  You have been through so much. I got chills reading your post and teared up.

You can contact the Westie Society of America....  I'm sure there is one,  or look for recommendations locally.  Sometimes your vet knows of good breeders in the area.  That is how we found our first Airedale.  I had just moved to the northern burbs of Chicago from NY to be with my (not at that time) husband, who is a Chicago boy.   

He knew how much I LOVED Airedales so 5 months after I moved here, for my birthday,  he took me to an Airedale breeder just north of us.  She was recommended by a local vet.  Turns out the breeder had once bee President of the Airedale Society of America and wrote a book on them.   There are a lot of good sources.   Just take your time and do a little research.

HUGS HUGS HUGS to you.  Stay strong.  Please let us know how things work out and what you decide to do. xoxo

Honored Contributor

Check the AKC ,web site,you put in the breed ,and area code you live in,and they will give you breeders names.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@kittycatmeow wrote:

I don't think that will happen. There are many reputable breeders and organizations who will continue to protect, sustain and dedicate their time, money and high standards for breeding specific dogs.

Respected Contributor

Re: Searching for a WESTIE

[ Edited ]

Please check out Petfinders......https://www.petfinder.com/

and

https://www.adoptapet.com/

Two great organizations putting new best friends together. Good luck!!!!