Frequent Contributor

Good morning Pet lovers of QVC. Truly thought this year would be better , but things do not always turn out as expected. Last October I had a total knee done and my best friend, also an RN , came to my home to help me for three weeks. She was the best friend one could ever ask for... and was a blessing not only for me but for my spouse who had no idea how hard my recovery would be. Along with her was the love of my live, Micki, my 15 year old westie. MAMAs boy as my husband would call him. He was my rock, my best friend who loved me unconditionally. On Jan 30, my best friend died, she had called 911 as she was having respiratory difficulties and once incubated, she passed. My world turned upside down. Then on March 5, I had to put my beloved Micki down, as his diabetes had become uncontrollable and could not reverse the ketacidosis. 

My mental state was fragile and as an RN i knew how easily for the first time in my life why people take their lives

Now, with medication , going back to my therapy , my spouse and I are looking for another WESTIE. Wanting a reputable non puppy mill breeder, and we live in Northern California, which makes it diffcult to find breeders that are nearby. Any suggestions would be welcomed, and I'm not a fan of flying a new puppy and would prefer not to travel out of state. Thank you for allowing me to speak!! MJ

Respected Contributor

Re: Searching for a WESTIE

[ Edited ]

Please consider a rescue! Check out..... https://www.westierescuenorcal.org/     Your new best friend might be there just waiting for you. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@MILKI   I'm so very sorry about the loss of your friend and your Westie.  That would be so hard.

The best way to find a dog from a reputable breeder is to go to the breed club's website.  In this case, it's westieclubamerica.com.  Then click on "about Westies" and then "breeder listings."  There's a file to download, and you should be able to search by state.

When I was looking for my dog, I narrowed it down to my state and a couple of states near me.  Then I narrowed it down by how far away they were.  I had in mind how far I would travel to pick a dog up.

You should also research the health problems of the breed and what breeders should be testing for.  You can ask the breeder these questions when you talk with him/her.

Good luck on your search!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

That was very kind and helpful info you provided!

@MILKI 

My heart goes out to you....that was a lot to lose so close together!  Good luck on your search.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you, but I have explored all of these avenues, with WESTIE RECUSES, WESTIE CLUBS, and AKC. I have had two westies so I am familiar with the breed. I lived in Texas with my other two and it was not as difficult to find good local breeders, but being in Northern Ca is proving to be very much a problem. Just wanting to put our feelers if anyone has any other suggestions or may have had really good luck with a very good breeder that they would feel comfortable suggesting. Prices today are ranging anywhere from 2500-4000 for a puppy , where 15 years ago, Micki was 600 at a very good breeder in Tx. Thank you!! MJ

Frequent Contributor

I have tried WESTIE recuses twice , in TX and just recently here in California . I do not have a fence in yard thus the decline in my application. I was declined 15 years ago in my search before I found a good breeder in Tx because of no fenced in yard so when I tried here in Ca , I knew I would be delcline again due to the same reason but tried anyway. This would be my third westie . MJ

Honored Contributor

@MILKI wrote:

I have tried WESTIE recuses twice , in TX and just recently here in California . I do not have a fence in yard thus the decline in my application. I was declined 15 years ago in my search before I found a good breeder in Tx because of no fenced in yard so when I tried here in Ca , I knew I would be delcline again due to the same reason but tried anyway. This would be my third westie . MJ

@MILKI Don't let people shame you for wanting a dog from a breeder.  If people don't support breeds they will disappear.  No shame at all in wanting to know what you are buying for the kind of investment (money and emotion) you make in a companion you will live with for many years. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner I totally agree with you.

Esteemed Contributor

I am very sorry for the loss of your dear friend, followed by the loss of your beloved pet.  There are so many animal lovers here, so folks understand.  

I agree that if it works for you, contact a breeder.  Life is too short not to find happiness when you can get it.

Contributor

Check out your local animal shelter.  There are so many wonderful unwanted and abused animals there that need loving furever homes.  Please adopt don't shop.  😻