Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Bitter apple is meant for use to keep nimals from chewing.  It's not going to help in this instance.  If you don't put something on the counter to deter him, he may stay off when you're around but he'll jump up as soon as you leave.  Cats are sneaky.

@Kachina624  Yes, I'm sure he gets on everything when I leave.  He's sitting on top of my dresser right now.  I originally wasn't going to let him do that.  

You're obviously right about the Bitter Apple.  I forgot about the fact that he would have to taste it to be deterred.

I e-mailed my sister to ask her to save her cans for me.  I think they drink a lot of Coke Zeros.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Somehow when animals get close enough to sense the heat from a hot object, they back away from it.  There are some devices you can buy which scare the animal when it gets near a forbidden zone.

20170928_151017.png

@Kachina624  I was getting ready to order the PetSafe spray deterrent when I read this:  

• Do not place in direct sunlight, hot water, near radiators, near HVAC vents, stove/oven or other sources of heat

I'll look at your other suggestions.  I remember thinking about ordering a ScatMat years ago when I had this problem with another cat.  She quit jumping on the counter before I bought it though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

"Train him" throughout the times when you are not cooking .... invert masking tape and lay on surface(s).   This negative reinforcement technique worked for my cat~!)

@seaBreeze  That's a good idea with the masking tape.  I had taped pieces of the sticking tape from a lint roller onto aluminum foil to try to keep him off my dresser.  He eventually figured out how to get around it.  If I taped the masking tape directly to the counter he wouldn't be able to do that.  I'll try that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Scare From Henry!

[ Edited ]

@NickNack,  This is a problem with some cats and not others.   I learned from watching Jackson Galaxy that cats usually are a bush dweller, a tree dweller or a beach dweller.   I've had both, and I've gradually been able to train them completely away from kitchen countertops.

his video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNaGNZ7bISU

Galaxy is one of the best cat behaviorists around -- I'd encourage you to find his "My Cat From Hell" Animal Planet shows and watch them.   Also, his YouTube videos cover a myriad of topics -- and all of it adds up to getting a better understanding of how cats behave and why they behave that way.   The more we can "get inside their heads" the easier it is to make our home a heppy dwelling for feline and human.

It's sounding like your Henry is a tree dweller.  As you already know, there are many ways to convince a cat to choose other options replacing the kitchen counters.   The one option that I draw the line at is spraying water on the cat -- I side with Galaxy on this, and he has a long, detailed explanation online about the reasons not to resort to this punitive act.    We don't want our little pal to associate us with fear or distress, and they're smart enough to see that spray bottle is "attached" to our hand.   The spray bottle can be harmful to creating and maintaining trust.

If you haven't done so, take a look at all the articles online.   Here's a link which will perform a search for you for "keep kitten off kitchen counter":

"Let Me Google That For You"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=keep+kitten+off+kitchen+counter

As you're seeing, when we welcome these dear felines into our home the process of understanding and adjusting can be a frustrating one, and it does take education, observation, dedication, patience, time and effort.   But the love you clearly have is the most important component.❤️   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Somehow when animals get close enough to sense the heat from a hot object, they back away from it.  There are some devices you can buy which scare the animal when it gets near a forbidden zone.

20170928_151017.png

@Kachina624  I was getting ready to order the PetSafe spray deterrent when I read this:  

• Do not place in direct sunlight, hot water, near radiators, near HVAC vents, stove/oven or other sources of heat

I'll look at your other suggestions.  I remember thinking about ordering a ScatMat years ago when I had this problem with another cat.  She quit jumping on the counter before I bought it though.

@NickNack,  I've used a Catscram silent electronic cat repellent device a few times, either to keep a kitty from coming into a room (when there's no door) or temporarily placing it on the kitchen counter.   We can't hear the alarm, but they can -- we just see the light flicker.

Image result for catscram

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@NickNack-

I hate to bring up one more potential problem but I was looking up what a coin in a can does for cats and what I found was something I didn't know!

The pennies made after 1982 have a zinc coating around the copper and one coin swallowed can be fatal to a dog or cat.

Are they used for distraction or like a toy?

So many things to know, my goodness!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@NickNack As I've said before Bill the cat would jump on everything no matter how high it is or WHAT it is. 

He'd gotten really good about NOT jumping high unless he knew it would be OK.

However, he does love to open cabinets and closet doors (can't tell you how many I've walked into).  

The other night I was laying in bed (with Katie the cat) and heard a cabinet door thumping back and forth in the master bathroom.  "thump, thump" over an over.  

I got up (yelling, Bill, stop that right now).  I've been working on the toilet replacing some inner working things so I'd put the tank top on the floor....all of the stuff was put in the sink (piled very high in the sink).  It never dawned on me he would jump up into the sink.

Well, still in the dark, I heard glass hitting and a loud thump.  I got up and turned on the light just in time to see Bill run from the room but didn't give it any thought.

Move forward to next morning....I couldn't find Bill anywhere.  He's normally following me everywhere so I knew it was a bad sign.  I texted my friend (the Vet's nurse).  She was 1 1/2 hours away but came immediately.  She had a hard time finding him too.  She took him home and into the office the next morning.

Long story....short.  He fell trying to jump in the sink and hit his leg and hip on the porcelain tank lid on the floor!  It wasn't broken just badly bruised.  He got a shot for pain then and so far it's been every other day.  He's still touchy there but will let me touch him now (I just got some lovin').

Cats are unpredictable.  He hadn't jumped in a long time (that high I mean).  He's probably around 9 years old now so my friend said he's getting older.

When I think of what could have happened to him, I panic really badly!  

At least this story ends well as does your Henry's story.

Super Contributor

@NickNack

What has worked with our cat is filling a spray bottle with water and spraying him, followed by a firm "NO", when he got on a counter in the kitchen.  Easy, but it worked.  

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@NickNack-

I hate to bring up one more potential problem but I was looking up what a coin in a can does for cats and what I found was something I didn't know!

The pennies made after 1982 have a zinc coating around the copper and one coin swallowed can be fatal to a dog or cat.

Are they used for distraction or like a toy?

So many things to know, my goodness!

I didn't know that @on the bay, but I certainly wouldn't want Henry to try to eat a coin.  Supposedly if you put cans with coins around the edges of a place you don't want them to go they will jump up and knock them down.  The pennies in the can will scare them, and they won't jump up there again.  I could always tape the hole so the coins wouldn't fall out.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Scare From Henry!

[ Edited ]

Great video about how to deal with kitty "counter surfing" and avoiding spray or squirt bottles of water.    I think it helps to hear him explain the reasons.   As he says, it "diminishes the bond" between you and your little pal.

Jackson Galaxy Says: Stop Using a Squirt Bottle to Discipline Your Cat!

"It’s widely believed that spraying a cat with a squirt bottle when he’s doing something you don’t want is an acceptable and effective means of disciplining and teaching him to stop unwanted behaviors. This is totally wrong! In fact, spraying your cat with water does nothing but harm your relationship with your cat.

Sure, it may get your cat to stop doing what he’s doing at that moment, but does it teach him anything? No. Animal Planet’s “Cat Daddy” Jackson Galaxy explains and gives some alternatives that actually do work."

link:

http://catingtonpost.com/jackson-galaxy-says-stop-using-a-squirt-bottle-to-discipline-your-cat/

Detailed article: 

BEHAVIOR:  

Squirt Bottles, Punishment, and Cat Behavior
by Jean Hofve DVM and Jackson Galaxy

(please copy link and remove spaces to go to the article, or search for the article title on the "Little Big Cat" website)

http://www.littlebigcat . com/behavior/squirt-bottles-punishment-and-cat-behavior/

❤️cats!