Honored Contributor

I was heating something up in my Breville Mini Oven today when I heard a thud on my counter.  I ran into the kitchen, and Henry was about two inches from the oven.  That oven gets extremely hot on the outside.  Henry has only been jumping up on my counter for a couple of days.

I grabbed him quickly while saying "no."  He jumped up again on the other side of the counter.  I put him down again saying "no."  I say "no" very firmly.  I've been doing that every time I've seen him on the counter recently.  I've about given up keeping him off everything else.  The aluminum foil with tape on it quit working.  I absolutely do not want him on my counters.  

I ended up putting him in my bedroom and closing the door until the oven was cool.  How in the world can I keep him off my counters?  I think I'll try what was suggested earlier with the coins in the cans, but that's an awfully lot of cans to have to collect.  I don't even drink sodas.  I'll have to get my sister to save hers for me.  

Thank goodness I heard him jump up on the counter.  He could have burned himself badly.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I am so glad you saw/heard him!

I think kittens are like little toddlers/babies.

You have to watch them all the time.

They can get into so much mischief on their own!

You might want to get baby gates to keep him out of the kitchen or something like that.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I am so glad you saw/heard him!

I think kittens are like little toddlers/babies.

You have to watch them all the time.

They can get into so much mischief on their own!

You might want to get baby gates to keep him out of the kitchen or something like that.

@on the bay  My kitchen is completely open.  It would have to be an extremely tall gate anyway, or he could jump over it.  I have one baby gate up to keep Frankie, my dog, from eating his food.  Henry just goes in through the rungs.  I wish I had a door to my kitchen, but I know not many people do.  

I don't cook very often, but I just got the little oven and think I'll be using it a lot.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Scare From Henry!

[ Edited ]

Somehow when animals get close enough to sense the heat from a hot object, they back away from it.  There are some devices you can buy which scare the animal when it gets near a forbidden zone.

20170928_151017.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@NickNack-

I guess you did the best thing-to put him in the room.

Maybe when he gets older, he'll understand. 

Aren't there those sparys to keep cats away from furniture and stuff?

I wonder if that might help.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Somehow when animals get close enough to sense the heat from a hot object, they back away from it.  There are some devices you can buy which scare the animal when it gets near a forbidden zone.

@Kachina624  I've looked at some of those devices.  One problem with them is that when anyone gets close to them they make a loud sound.  That would bother me.  I don't know what the solution is.  I hope you're right that he would back away if he sensed the heat.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@NickNack-

I guess you did the best thing-to put him in the room.

Maybe when he gets older, he'll understand. 

Aren't there those sparys to keep cats away from furniture and stuff?

I wonder if that might help.

@on the bay  I do have the Bitter Apple spray.  I guess I could spray the counter near the mini oven and see if that would work.  Thanks for the suggestion.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Scare From Henry!

[ Edited ]

@NickNack We'll just all come babysit Henry (and Frankie) while you cook!

How bout that?🐱

Honored Contributor

Bitter apple is meant for use to keep nimals from chewing.  It's not going to help in this instance.  If you don't put something on the counter to deter him, he may stay off when you're around but he'll jump up as soon as you leave.  Cats are sneaky.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

"Train him" throughout the times when you are not cooking .... invert masking tape and lay on surface(s).   This negative reinforcement technique worked for my cat~!)