Trusted Contributor

Re: Saw something on Pioneer Woman

I'm with you, Ladybug724...I saw that episode too and it did bother me.   It does seem like it would be hard for cattle to wander off on a property that big...branding is cruel to me too...just shows you have a tender heart!

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

H, I don't come here a lot anymore but I just saw something on Ree's show that I found upsetting.  It was an episode where her family was branding cattle.  I guess I never really thought about it, like I can't believe people do this still.  She literally said they drag the cow or bull or whatever to the fire and then they showed them being branded. It must to be as painful as can be for the poor little cow.  The kids were standing around like it's no big deal. Why do I never hear outrage over this treatment of animals?

I'm sure the family has grown used to this practice but as for me I was upset. Am I the only one who feels this way about it?  Does anyone know if it's as painful for the cow as it looks?

@Ladybug724  Do you eat  beef?  Branding is the least horrible thing done to cattle before the slaughter house.....

Respected Contributor

@lOVETOSHOP wrote:

I'm with you, Ladybug724...I saw that episode too and it did bother me.   It does seem like it would be hard for cattle to wander off on a property that big...branding is cruel to me too...just shows you have a tender heart!

Oh thank you @lOVETOSHOP! Don't get me wrong, I like Ree Drummond a lot and she has a nice family, so this is nothing against them.But I feel like we should have the technology to brand cattle in a more humane way. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

H, I don't come here a lot anymore but I just saw something on Ree's show that I found upsetting.  It was an episode where her family was branding cattle.  I guess I never really thought about it, like I can't believe people do this still.  She literally said they drag the cow or bull or whatever to the fire and then they showed them being branded. It must to be as painful as can be for the poor little cow.  The kids were standing around like it's no big deal. Why do I never hear outrage over this treatment of animals?

I'm sure the family has grown used to this practice but as for me I was upset. Am I the only one who feels this way about it?  Does anyone know if it's as painful for the cow as it looks?

@Ladybug724  Do you eat  beef?  Branding is the least horrible thing done to cattle before the slaughter house.....

@SeaMaiden Someone did mention that upthread.  I very rarely eat beef. 

Trusted Contributor

I  totally agree...I like Ree Drummond also and have several of her cookbooks.  I just feel as you do, that this could somehow do this in a less painful way, especially in this day and age.  Kind of like that old saying..."if they can send a man to the moon...." 

Respected Contributor

@lOVETOSHOP wrote:

I  totally agree...I like Ree Drummond also and have several of her cookbooks.  I just feel as you do, that this could somehow do this in a less painful way, especially in this day and age.  Kind of like that old saying..."if they can send a man to the moon...." 

Exactly what I was thinking!

Honored Contributor

There are many things that happen in ranching/ farming that I don't want to see, but I accept common practices such as branding.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

There are many things that happen in ranching/ farming that I don't want to see, but I accept common practices such as branding.

I get that it's necessary to brand cattle, but in this day and age, why must it remain this barbaric method?  

Frequent Contributor

They do it because large scale rustling still exists and no more humane method that is still cost effective is available at this time.  The solution is to give up eating beef, wearing leather, feeding our pets meat or meat byproducts, using bone meal in our gardens etc

Esteemed Contributor

As a FYI there are a plethora of state and federal rules/laws requiring livestock branding.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.