Respected Contributor

Saw something on Pioneer Woman

H, I don't come here a lot anymore but I just saw something on Ree's show that I found upsetting.  It was an episode where her family was branding cattle.  I guess I never really thought about it, like I can't believe people do this still.  She literally said they drag the cow or bull or whatever to the fire and then they showed them being branded. It must to be as painful as can be for the poor little cow.  The kids were standing around like it's no big deal. Why do I never hear outrage over this treatment of animals?

I'm sure the family has grown used to this practice but as for me I was upset. Am I the only one who feels this way about it?  Does anyone know if it's as painful for the cow as it looks?

Respected Contributor

Re: Saw something on Pioneer Woman

From what I’ve read, farmers brand cows because ear tags can be easily removed. 

Trusted Contributor

I would bet the burning of skin is equally painful for all living things - humans & animals.  I think it is a horrible practice but there is not much concern given to most animals.  I think, especially since they own so much land, it is not likely they will wander off or be easily stolen so it seems unnecessary to do this to them.  

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Eventually they then send them off to the slaughterhouse where it is much worse then branding. They raise cattle for food.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Eventually they then send them off to the slaughterhouse where it is much worse then branding. They raise cattle for food.

How horrible and sad!

Super Contributor

it's called ranching, how else are they supposed to identify their stock- it is a practice that has been going on for eons- get over it

Respected Contributor

Oh, good grief.

Frequent Contributor

I saw that and would rather not have

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@arizona babe wrote:

it's called ranching, how else are they supposed to identify their stock- it is a practice that has been going on for eons- get over it

I'm not going to ever "get over" animal cruelty-- it doesn't matter how long it's been going on.  It's cruel

Frequent Contributor

So sad how we treat these farm animals, no reason for the cruelty, bad enough they are there to feed us.