Esteemed Contributor

Re: Saving Feral Cats

[ Edited ]

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

Many, many people have reached out to her over the years, & she wanted no part of it. Two neighbors actually tried to appeal to the woman who takes my neighbor to buy the cat food every month (my neighbor is a recluse who lives alone now, but was one of five children raised in that house). Many of us have tried to be friendly, & she wants no part of us; I believe she enjoys the experience of having more kittens each year. She has never married, or had children. Only one sibling has ever visited her there. Many of the neighbors, including myself, have trapped over the years. I've asked my vetenarian for advice. He's one of the most respected vets in the community. He even has a clinic for homeless pet owners, & he goes to where they are(soup kitchens, shelters). He essentially told me "good luck" with getting the full cooperation of our county animal control. It's been my experience, & others, that once we started trapping, & they were having to pick up cats every day, they seem to discourage us from doing so! And, life gets busy, & other things become a priority, &, some, myself included, put it aside for awhile. I didn't think of rescue organizations, that would be worth looking into. Thank you for that idea!

While many keep talking about rescue groups for help, the reality is that these groups are few and far between.  If you have one in your area that is great, however that is not an option for most.  Animal control is just that to control the animals, which requires them to be trapped and only released if adopted. Just as with dogs.

You also have to have people who are aware that there is a problem and be willing to follow the rules and maintain the group. Often cats will come and go, if you do not keep on top of new members and fix them, you still have a problem.  While many here talk about the 2 or 3 that show up at their house, i personally know of 2 different situations where dozens of cats were hanging around neighborhoods because people were feeding.  They quickly became a huge problem, a growing problem. Releasing them back into that area would not solve the problem.

This is not a simple problem with a simple solution.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.