Esteemed Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

@Kachina624: Yeah, I figured my opinion would not be a popular one, but this is a subject I feel strongly about. But I have to LIVE with them, so many of them, & my neighbor should have worked with Animal Control to have them fixed years ago, before it got out of hand. I guess, if I'd never had this experience, I might have had a more "live & let live" attitude, but I feel cheated out of the "let live" part!! And the problems I mentioned in my post are only the tip of the iceberg! I have a dog, too, & when I let him out in my fenced yard, he chases them away, but that doesn't stop them from coming back, day after day. They actually sit on the edge of the property, waiting for him to go back in the house! Maybe the "powers that be" in AC would come up with a better solution if they lived in MY house for awhile!!!

I understand your point.  Think it comes down to are they pets or wild animals.  Unfortunately that line gets blurred when you have so many people dumping pets when they no longer want them.  Personally I feel that no pet, or previous pet, should have to live on the street.  They should be picked up and if possible a new home found.  When they become wild, just as with all wildlife they become a problem when the population gets out of control. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@151949: I hear ya. I wonder if people feed them, anyway. I wonder if they would increase in numbers as much if people let nature take its own course, & I'm sure that's not the "popular" opinion; people feel sorry for them. I'm not an animal hater. I just see how things progress over the years when people feed them like pets, but, in all other aspects, treat them like wild animals. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Saving Feral Cats

[ Edited ]

Sadly, just like areas where deer, wild geese, racoons, rats & coyotes are growing in way too high populations hunting or trapping them is usually the best, most humane solution. Starvation is a very horrible, slow way to die.However, I grew up on a farm - animals were bred for sale to slaughterhouses or to do work or provide milk.I see these things realistically. Many posters on this board think with their hearts not their heads.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

@151949: I hear ya. I wonder if people feed them, anyway. I wonder if they would increase in numbers as much if people let nature take its own course, & I'm sure that's not the "popular" opinion; people feel sorry for them. I'm not an animal hater. I just see how things progress over the years when people feed them like pets, but, in all other aspects, treat them like wild animals. 

It is because nature took its course that there are so many feral/unwanted cats.  A cat can get pregnant as young as four to six months and depending on weather can have three or four litters a year.

Tiny kittens recently brought in a sick and emaciated pregnant feral.  Although none of her kittens survived in spite of best efforts the mother cat went into heat within three weeks after losing the kittens.   Cats have one mandate, to reproduce at all costs.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

It is because nature took its course that there are so many feral/unwanted cats.  A cat can get pregnant as young as four to six months and depending on weather can have three or four litters a year.

Tiny kittens recently brought in a sick and emaciated pregnant feral.  Although none of her kittens survived in spite of best efforts the mother cat went into heat within three weeks after losing the kittens.   Cats have one mandate, to reproduce at all costs.

There also needs to be shelter and a stable food source for feral cats to reproduce and thrive.  Most wildlife populations will grow out of control when provided ideal condotiond.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp...Thanks for posting this very touching video in the Pet Lovers forum in hopes of bringing awareness to the heartwrenching plight of ferals who are so misunderstood and judged so very harshly....What makes it even more heartwrenching is that their situation is all due to the total irresponsibility of humans and their lack of compassion.

TinyKittens HQ is the most amazing rescue organization and is to be applauded for all of the wonderful rescue work that they do, not just limited to domesticated cats/kittens, but also for their unconditional dedication to the well-being and survival of feral cats/kittens....reaching people all around the World...through awareness and education...and showing the heartwarming miracles that can occur with understanding, love and compassion!

We all can claim to be animal lovers and rush off to adopt "pets"...However, how far will we go to help those who have been traumatized by abandonment, abuse and some not ever knowing human contact due to being born and raised in feral colonies and the many challenges that they face just to survive! 

That is the true test for all of us!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Foolywooly11...I'm sorry for your situation and saddened for the ferals....I am just curious as to why no one reached out to your neighbor in the beginning,  when she first started feeding a few ferals, and suggested contacting a rescue organization (no kill) to help with the situation...They are invaluable and can provide humane traps and also low-cost spays/neuters...That would have prevented the current situation that you and your neighbors now find yourselves in.

Didn't anyone, through these many years, think of doing this?

Honored Contributor

The video is very touching.  I believe in trapping and neutering and then releasing the cats.  I also think feral kittens can become nice pets.  There's a feral rescue group here.  

I can see both sides though.  I would not want to live next door to someone who fed feral cats like foolywooly does.  That would really bother me.  I definitely don't agree with trapping them and killing them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

NickNack wrote:

The video is very touching.  I believe in trapping and neutering and then releasing the cats.  I also think feral kittens can become nice pets.  There's a feral rescue group here.  

I can see both sides though.  I would not want to live next door to someone who fed feral cats like foolywooly does.  That would really bother me.  I definitely don't agree with trapping them and killing them.

@NickNack...About 10 years ago, a woman who lived several houses from me started feeding a couple of adult ferals, as well as a litter of 5 kittens....Many of the neighbors were complaining and that is how I found out about her...She was elderly and lived alone.

I went to her house and told her about the wonderful rescue organization not very far from us and that I could pick up some traps for her...I explained that the two adult cats would be taken to the Vet to be spayed/neutered and then released back to her; however, the kittens would stay at the rescue organization and be adopted out...They were already weaned and eating solid food.

All went well and the two adult cats ended up quite social....All lived happily ever after, as well as the neighbors!...lol

Trusted Contributor

I have done TNR for years. It is the best thing for people, community and the cats. What people don't understand is once they are spayed and neutered their wild roaming instincts disappear. They can't reproduce, they don't yowl, they don't spray, and they get to live their life. We have a feral colony where I live and my neighbor was feeding and getting more and more. I spoke to her and explained what would ultimately happen if they weren't fixed and the law we have where I live. She got a trapper and had all the cats spayed, neutered and returned. There are 6 or 8 of them (1 belongs to someone who lets his cat out and it wasn't fixed - so she did for him) and they come every morning and night to eat and there are zero problems with them. They are sweet and some can be petted and are very lovable. It's not their fault and they shouldn't have to die because of human irresponsibility.