Honored Contributor

'Salty Dog' Rescued by Coast Guard

An out-of-control boat with a dog on board is not something any animal lover wants to see, but fortunately ... this wild story has a paws-itively happy ending.

The unmanned Zodiac boat was spotted circling in the ocean Monday, about 300 meters off the coast of Almunecar, Spain with no one at the helm except a dog.

Photographer, Huw Evans, knew something was up, and captured the ordeal that unfolded.

Evans says he feared the boat's actual skipper had fallen overboard so his crew went to investigate, and that's when they noticed the poor solo doggy tied up on board.

The Coast Guard arrived soon after, and first tried to corral the boat by snagging its propeller but that didn't work. So, then someone tried to jump on board, but also failed and fell in the water.

Evans said, "It was quite a wild ride, when [the rescuer] fell off I was worried he might be hurt by the propeller but luckily it missed him." Thankfully, a much bigger Coast Guard boat showed up and managed to snag the boat.

The salty old sea dog was rescued and returned to its owner ... and the pooch now has a great story to tell its pups.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Re: 'Salty Dog' Rescued by Coast Guard

Did I miss something? Why was the dog on the boat alone? Where was the owner?

Esteemed Contributor

My question too..........and don't tie your dog......dog needs a way to escape in  a bad situation.  If he's a 'jumper'  - leave him at home.

Honored Contributor

Here in WA state I often see news stories of people taking their doggos on boats and the dogs always are wearing a life vest.

The fool who tied the dog to the boat and no vest should NEVER be allowed to own a pet of any kind. What a jerk. This just burns me up.

Thank goodness the dog was saved. Too bad they didn't scuttle that stupid boat.

Honored Contributor

Here's a video showing doggy and boat going round and round.  

Dog in Out-of-Control Boat Rescued in Spain (tmz.com)