Respected Contributor

Re: Saddened by these circumstances ...

[ Edited ]

@Jk9 wrote:

@RinaRina I feel your pain and can only offer a few suggestions to help you cope with your situation:  Can you establish a "bird room" in which to allow your birds to be free for several hours a day or to stay in relative safety,?  

You can also have the dogs DNA done (our local Petsmart does blood based dna) to determine exactly what breed(s) you are dealing with.  It costs about $100.  

----------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
The dog & I were gone for about 5-6 hours today.

The birds have their own room (my computer room).

I did the same thing today that I did yesterday.  But this time I clipped the millet to the outer entrance of the cage as opposed to what I'd done yesterday ... place the millet on the bird stand 6' away ... thinking they'd fly over to the stand ... they did NOT.
Good news ...They ate the millet!
When I got home, it was almost dark.  
To my surprise, I told the male to go back into his cage and he did!  The female hopped on my finger and let me put her back into the cage.
So, yes!  Your idea is an excellent one.
Also ...
Re:  
"When I got home, it was almost dark." 

(the significance of darkness)
Birds can't see well at nite.
So, when I put them back in their cage, it's got to be dusk, when they're subdued.

THANKS for your suggestion.

I appreciate it!

And thanks for letting me know about Petsmart's DNA test.

Woman Happy

EDIT:
BTW, do you think the blood test is more accurate than Embark's saliva test?

Petsmart's test - "DNA My Dog" - I think that's a saliva test.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

"I loved and nurtured this dog as if she were my own child."

Do you no longer love the dog because she is a Basenji?  If so, why?  They don't bark, are larger than a Chihauhua, chases birds, or all of the above?

Some dogs will chase birds.  Basenji's will chase animals. So do other breeds. Train her not to do that.  She needs a firm, consistent and persistent trainer.  That's you.  

From what you said, I see no reason to give up this dog. 

=========================================

Thanks.  No one else has responded to my ads, so, I'll just forge ahead.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Kachina624  Clancy  has been a challenge,  he is15 months old,  a few weeks after getting him at 9 wks, i hurt my back,and knee, i will be 71 next month, he tends to bite, play bite ,but it has been tough, i just never had a golden do what he does. Oh sure puppies chew , but he bites.

@goldensrbest    If he was with his Mon 9 weeks, she should have taught him bite inhibition, so its all her fault.  You may need to get stern with him.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I am sorry this happened to you.  My situation is similiar.  I was sooo grief stricken after I lost my best friend (a dog) in 2020.  I got a dog off craigslist that was supposed to be half of the age he really is and has medical problems that are not going away just manageable.  I cannot rehome him with the problems he has and it has been a financial burden in vet bills and medication.  If you lose you pet and greiving don't get another one for at least 6 months to a year.  Also an older dog like people have so many expensive problems.  You don't get to enjoy the dog you just wind up caring for them.  He is not house broken and I cannot chance him ruining my floors so he is in a diaper 24/7.  He won't sleep past 5 am so my days are very long. He is food obscessed so all he does is hunt for food all day.  Getting this dog was such a mistake that I will be paying for. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry about your dilemma..I read where the dog needs to be exercised 40 minutes a day. Some dogs require more exercise than others. I don't know if you are doing this but it might he!p.

My other suggestion is you take them to small claims court to recover the money spent.I know you can ask for your money plus up to $5,000 for punitive damages. This might help finances plus put the shelter on notice. 

You can do a DNA test to find out what breed he is. Let's face it, you have been deceived by a shelter that just wanted to get rid of the dog,no matter what.

I feel sorry for the dog that is caught in the middle. I don't know what state you live in but Pitbull and Parolees are located in New Orleans. Maybe contact them and see if they can help you. I wish you the best and take care. Keep us updated. Caesar Milan is an excellent dog trainer. He has a facility in California. I have no other suggestions.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That a really bad situation. I am so sorry this happened to you. Maybe the vet put the dog on some calming meds and then you can try to train it?

Here's my story, it might help.. I rescued a dog using Pet Finder from a local small rescue organization 7 yrs ago (Skye, her picture is my avatar). Yes, she is cute, I fell in love at first sight. Well it took 2 yrs to get her to stop peeing every time she saw me ( she would actually jump on my lap and then pee 🙄), BTW, she is 3/4 chi, per the genetic testing, becaue she was so hyper nervous. And she was under-socialized and very fearful, had horrible separation anxiety, and I had to work at an office daily! I had to take her to doggy Daycare for several years. There were several problems with her, and I had a lot of regret.
But we worked through most of the issues with the vet and some Prozac, although She is still now fearful and undersocialized and isn't friendly to anyone but my husband and I.
BUT she has DOES have several excellent qualities that my prior dog didn't! That dog woke me up every morning g at 5 am, no matter what I did to change it- Skye let's me sleep!! And she is super loving with us,and a lot of quirky fun to have around! We adore her now-
Anyway, my point here, is that it may get better- Every dog has their quirks and positives and negatives... Give it a little time maybe? Best wishes it all improves and the unique good qualities come out that this dog might have! ❣️

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chicletwrote:

I am sorry this happened to you. My situation is similiar. I was sooo grief stricken after I lost my best friend (a dog) in 2020. I got a dog off craigslist that was supposed to be half of the age he really is and has medical problems that are not going away just manageable. I cannot rehome him with the problems he has and it has been a financial burden in vet bills and medication.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That is awful.
This is what people do .... and SHELTERS too.

They dump the dogs they don't want on bleeding hearts like us.

This dog I have has made my life a NIGHTMARE.

She knocked me down a few weeks ago, and since the accident, I've been unable to walk.

Some days, I just burst into tears.

I'm sorry for what happened to you.

SMH ...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elatedwrote:

I am sorry about your dilemma..I read where the dog needs to be exercised 40 minutes a day. Some dogs require more exercise than others. I don't know if you are doing this but it might he!p.

My other suggestion is you take them to small claims court to recover the money spent.I know you can ask for your money plus up to $5,000 for punitive damages. This might help finances plus put the shelter on notice.

You can do a DNA test to find out what breed he is. Let's face it, you have been deceived by a shelter that just wanted to get rid of the dog,no matter what

==============================================================

I've already filed my complaint in Small Claims Court, but the hearing is not until Jan 11, 2023.
I'm also doing a DNA test ... they LIED about the breed.

I am so angry and depressed all the time since the dog knocked me down and I've been in severe pain and unable to walk.

This is NOT a chihuhua.

The other sad part is, this dog would've been ideal for a FAMILY with children.
Kids like to play "rough" and this is a "rough" dog. Too rough for me.

Had the shelter properly vetted the dog, they would've known that a "family" environment would've been a more suitable match. But they didn't care because they operate like a dog mill.

Furthermore, since the dog was so SICK at the shelter, (@ death's door), there was no way to know how rough and rambunctious she is.

Will update after I get the DNA results.

Respected Contributor

@chicletwrote:

You don't get to enjoy the dog you just wind up caring for them. He is not house broken and I cannot chance him ruining my floors so he is in a diaper 24/7. He won't sleep past 5 am so my days are very long. He is food obscessed so all he does is hunt for food all day. Getting this dog was such a mistake that I will be paying for.

=========================================

What a mess! And the problem is, if you have the dog put down, then you'll have to deal with the guilt.

When my two dogs died, the guilt really got to me.

I felt like I didn't do enuf ... I could've done more ... "it was my fault" ... the guilt goes on and on.
My chi that died in September ... I still cry ... last nite I got so angry at myself ... it just never stops.

Contributor

What a rude thing to say !