Honored Contributor

Re: Saddened by these circumstances ...

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

@RinaRina , Asking because i was thinking you had posted this before, I really just don't know what you should do,i feel for the dog.

@goldensrbest    Thinking back over the years, I recall @RinaRina  having one unfortunate experience after another with dogs with none ending happily.  She seems to use very poor judgment in dealing with her pet issues.  IMO she'd be better off without a dog and perhaps should try a nice cat if she must have a pet.

This may sound harsh but I'm feeling sorry for the poor dogs that have passed through her life.  I don't know what it is specifically but there's a problem there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

"I loved and nurtured this dog as if she were my own child."

Do you no longer love the dog because she is a Basenji?  If so, why?  They don't bark, are larger than a Chihauhua, chases birds, or all of the above?

Some dogs will chase birds.  Basenji's will chase animals. So do other breeds. Train her not to do that.  She needs a firm, consistent and persistent trainer.  That's you.  

From what you said, I see no reason to give up this dog. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

P1020388.JPGIf you live in a small town, then find a town near that has a  good animal shelter,  i had a golden once that would catch wild birds,  another little red girl cambrige that i lost last december, she watched the birds out side ,just layed and watched ,but would dig up moles,and volves in the yard, loved that girl.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest @What a cutie!

Valued Contributor

@RinaRina 

Yes, you really weren't ready for a replacement just yet, but..................

You thought you were doing the right thing,but the dog seems to be paying the price.

I would  have a trainer come to your home, explain and show him the problem, he/she may be able to help you.

Its sad that what is instilled in the dog, he is now being punished for,  its not fair to it.

You saw him through his sickness,  so there is some love inside you for him and he's healed with that.

So why not see if you can get through the bird episodes.

Sounds like he just needs guidance and plenty of love, you have to give him a chance. I think you are comparing him to your other dog and that's not really fair to this dog. 

I bet after a few training sessions and your help,  he will be much better and love you for giving him the chance he never had,,,

I hope you both enjoy your holidays.................

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chessielady  @jubilant I agree.  The coon hound we have is excellent with people.  She is well behaved, kennels, sits on command, takes treats from your hand very gently, walks with ease on a leash, loves hugs and kisses and so on.  Even takes meds upon request.  She is excellent at the vet getting examined, blood drawn and nails done.  They all love her.  That is what makes the situation so hard.  Yes, I would euthanize her, but my husband can't and won't agree.  This dog goes into another "place" when she is ready to strike.   The dog we know is "gone" then.   I believe that there are "beings" that should be destroyed due to an incurable psychosis that cannot change; a wired in effect to kill, if you will.  Our dog has this and apparently it is recognized in the animal world.  

Fortunately, I don't see this as the problem with @RinaRina 's dog.  That's why I think a dna test is a good place to start.  We have done 2 different dogs.  We had a small dog that many (and I mean many) people wanted when they saw him.  We adopted Mad Max when he was a tiny puppy found wandering in an apartment complex and almost run down.   His dna was fascinating and a combination of breeds.  We adopted a cocker was that was left tied to a house when the residents moved.  He was known to be a cocker so we contacted the cocker spaniel rescue.  He was picked up by animal control before we could get him and their vet called him a "field spaniel" so the cocker rescue pulled out of the adoption.  We still took him, named him "Joe Cocker" (yes, after that rocker).  We later did his dna out of curiosity and he was 100% cocker, all the way back to great grands.  

@RinaRina Our dna test reports discussed the characteristics of the breeds that were found in the dna so you can get good info there. Max had a 12 page report.  We went with a blood draw because it's supposed to be more accurate than swab analysis.  

I recommend the help of a dog trainer if the OP can't cope with the behaviors.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   How is your golden puppy doing?  You never mention him.  Is he past the chewing, biting stage yet?  Housebroken?  Would live to see a picture.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Clancy  has been a challenge,  he is15 months old,  a few weeks after getting him at 9 wks, i hurt my back,and knee, i will be 71 next month, he tends to bite, play bite ,but it has been tough, i just never had a golden do what he does. Oh sure puppies chew , but he bites.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The ugly truth here that some are not facing is many very sick dogs can't be saved because people simply don't have the money to do it.  But they are foisted off on folks under false circumstances.

The shelter business (local government and private) needs some rules and regulations and guidelines.  It has gotten way out of hand.  Flying dogs all over the country (what about climate change) and giving people sick dogs, dogs that are not what they seem, etc. etc.  People deserve to know what they are getting into.

And frankly some I suspect of it being simply a business not many notches above puppy mills.  Yes, most is wonderful but what is not is sometimes a nightmare for kind, good intentioned people.  Some who are hurting from loss of a pet and vulnerable.

==============================================

The place where I got this dog, altho' it's called a "shelter", is nothing but a dog mill.

They're "waiving fees" because they've got too many animals, including rabbits and cats.  Altho' this shelter claims to "save" all the animals they bring in, they're LYING.  Animal Control has told me numerous times, this shelter frequently dispose of animals when they can not be adopted.

I'm just sickened at how they fool the public ... and they tricked me.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

She will be gone 1 yr. december 1st.