Respected Contributor

Re: Saddened by these circumstances ...

@Mimi NY wrote:

WHY don't you take it up with your town animal control because that dog should never been allowed to be adopted and sounds like that shelter should be closed  as things spread so fast in shelters.

===========================================

-P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S-

Everyone I've spoken to says the same thing ... "they're struggling", "they've got problems".

Where I live, for the sake of politeness, people tend to keep things vague to avoid being rude.  No specifics.

The Petstore where I get my dog's food simply said, "we don't do adoptions thru them anymore."  Again, no specifics.

That was it.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina   I'm sorry for your situation.  You've got to place this dog with a shelter.  You absolutely must do this soon for the sake of your birds.  Their mental health is the most important thing.  They were there first.  You've got to consider them first.

As I recall, another local shelter told you they would take the dog. Place place the dog with them.  Your birds are too important to let them suffer.  The dog is terrorizing them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina Do a Dog DNA test... I used Embark... it is the only way to really know what your dogs background is.

Respected Contributor

Did you use the $99 one or the one for $139?

I'm hoping the prices drop for Black Friday.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

The ugly truth here that some are not facing is many very sick dogs can't be saved because people simply don't have the money to do it.  But they are foisted off on folks under false circumstances.

The shelter business (local government and private) needs some rules and regulations and guidelines.  It has gotten way out of hand.  Flying dogs all over the country (what about climate change) and giving people sick dogs, dogs that are not what they seem, etc. etc.  People deserve to know what they are getting into.

And frankly some I suspect of it being simply a business not many notches above puppy mills.  Yes, most is wonderful but what is not is sometimes a nightmare for kind, good intentioned people.  Some who are hurting from loss of a pet and vulnerable.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina I feel your pain and can only offer a few suggestions to help you cope with your situation:  Can you establish a "bird room" in which to allow your birds to be free for several hours a day or to stay in relative safety,?  This room should be secured so that the door won't accidentally open to allow the dog to enter.  You can be innovative to do that safely.  You could then have a opportunity to have some quiet time with the birds.

You can also have the dogs DNA done (our local Petsmart does blood based dna) to determine exactly what breed(s) you are dealing with.  It costs about $100.   Don't rely on what someone thinks your dog is!!   After that, consult a professional dog trainer to work with your dog.  Of course, dna based behavior such as hunting instincts, are difficult to deal with.

Are you able to give your dog more outdoor time during which you could let the birds out?   Arrange a safe area for the birds to be out such as a "bird room" secured from the dog.   That's all I can say related to the birds. 

I understand your feelings as we have a coon hound that arrived at our farm gate as a young pup/dog.  She was so sweet and adorable that we couldn't turn her away (we tried to locate her owner too).  We have tried to re-home her, relinquish her to breed rescues etc.  She is diagnosed with "coon hound rage" which you can research on google.  We have exhausted all treatment options and have chosen to adapt our lives to dealing with her condition.  It isn't easy but we do it for the safety of our other dogs.

I am sorry this happened to you.  But you have the dog and are under extreme grief as well.   This dog may not be a total lost cause, but you got a situation you weren't prepared for.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Coon Hound rage....Springer rage what ever rage. Certain dogs should not be on this earth. They have bad wiring or a screw not tight what ever you wish to call it and should be put down. No amount of training will allow that type of dog to co-exist with humans or other animals. They are plain and simple loose cannons and are dangerous!

I know that sounds harsh but it is the plain and simple truth.

This isn't all dogs just some dogs that no matter how hard you try they are not right and are walking law suits waiting to happen.

I have known people who actually tippy toe around dogs that they are really afraid of but can not do the right thing.  They have been bitten and bitten very badly but some how they believe that they just need to give that dog another chance.

I can always deal with just a 'quirky' dog but not a flat out dangerous dog.

Esteemed Contributor

First, all shelters are different.  If it is a city or county run shelter, they have VERY limited resources.  Volunteers often make there best guess of breed, medical condition and age, also medical care is non existent.  The local county shelter often post, begging for help with injured dogs.  Thankfully there are numerous local rescues that step up.  Most times they can feed and house, nothing more.  They hope to adopt or have a rescue pull.

I also had birds and dogs....and I would never leave birds outside their cages unsupervised.  As you yourself said they can get into to many things.

Have to assume your birds do not have free range of the house (who would want feathers and poop everywhere).  Keeping the dog out of the bird room would work.  Just sounds like you just don't want this dog and are making lots of excuses to hate him.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@chessielady wrote:

Coon Hound rage....Springer rage what ever rage. Certain dogs should not be on this earth. They have bad wiring or a screw not tight what ever you wish to call it and should be put down. No amount of training will allow that type of dog to co-exist with humans or other animals. They are plain and simple loose cannons and are dangerous!

I know that sounds harsh but it is the plain and simple truth.

This isn't all dogs just some dogs that no matter how hard you try they are not right and are walking law suits waiting to happen.

I have known people who actually tippy toe around dogs that they are really afraid of but can not do the right thing.  They have been bitten and bitten very badly but some how they believe that they just need to give that dog another chance.

I can always deal with just a 'quirky' dog but not a flat out dangerous dog.

@chessielady  I do agree that there are some dogs that should be put down.  When they are dangerous or suffering badly.  OP didn't say anything, to my knowledge, about her dog being mean or dangerous. A good trainer should be able to tell one way or the other.

Super Contributor

@jubilant Agree.....just a typical 'quirky' Basenji! Or Basenji mix heavy on th Basenji!