Honored Contributor

Re: Saddened by these circumstances ...

I think you got some rude remarks from some, it was removed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry for the situation you find yourself in and I admire all you have tried to do for this dog.

If it were me, I would hire a dog trainer. They can train so very much out of a dog. I know it might be expensive but, since you have tried everything else, this is the only way I see out of this. I have seen many dysfuntional dogs totally changed by some training. 

Honored Contributor

I am trying to understand why the birds are a problem, could it be you are compairing this dog ,to your  other one?

Respected Contributor

@Tallgal wrote:

I am sorry about the passing of your dog and your current situation with the dog you adopted.   

I am a volunteer for the local SPCA in my area.   Our policy for adoptions is if the dog/cat ever needs to be surrendered the dog/cat must be brought back to the SPCA.   What does your adoption paperwork for the dog state in regards to surrendering the dog?   Also,  in our area we have county owned municipal animal shelters where residents of that county can surrender their pets.   Does your area have these type of shelters where you can surrender the dog?   

================================================

I have no paperwork stating the dog must be returned to them.

Besides, given their lack of ethics, I would not return the dog to them.

These are BAD people.

What they did was bad ... and sneaky.

I'd been at the shelter for almost 3 hours.  

The whole time I was there I felt things were awry.

I've already been told by other sources that the place "has problems" .. 

My guess is, had I not adopted the dog, she would've been euthanized.

What the shelter vet did was inexcusable.

They're just bad people.

Given the dog's condition while she was housed there, it was a death sentence.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

You did post this recently. As I recall, many of us asked questions that you never answered. Like why did you take the dog to THREE different vets? And why on earth would you assume a vet techs assessment that the dog is a Basenji? That's a rare exotic breed. Highly unlikely that such a dog would show up in a local shelter. 
Im sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. It's heartbreaking and we all understand from personal experience.
That said, the way you describe your interactions with people sound inflammatory and a bit paranoid. 
You have a lot of excuses why you're not rehoming this dog. Makes me wonder what's your agenda here? 

Harmonize the World
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

A Basenji is not a rare exotic dog just don't see them to often for many reasons!  I have run into many of that breed. They are difficult to train and do best with people who are familiar with their quirks. Certainly not a breed for just anyone!  I would try and find a breed rescue group.....however that may prove difficult as I would not imagine they are plentiful in all areas. And yes I can believe that a Basenji could end up in a shelter quite easily! They can be a very difficult dog for many people.

I certainly would try and find a no kill shelter that has good reviews and would accept this dog.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I am trying to understand why the birds are a problem, could it be you are compairing this dog ,to your  other one?

========================================================

Okay .... now I'm remembering what happened when I originally posted here.

The same question came up.

I've never "caged" my birds.  I've had birds for over 30 years but they were never "caged" ... even when I had other dogs.  They adjusted.

The cage was an "apparatus", but the birds didn't live inside the cage.

AFTER this dog recovered, I had to lock up the birds.

@goldensrbest  - - 

You've always been helpful, so, I'm going to add this ...

Yesterday, the dog & I were gone all day.

Before I left the house, I'd decided I was going to "MAKE THIS WORK".

The "workaround" would be, when the dog & I were gone, I'd let the birds out.

Yesterday, I put the dog in the car and then came back in the house and opened the cage doors.

I placed millet (their favorite treat) and a bathtub outside of the cage.

If there are two things my birds, love it's baths and millet.

The dog and I were gone for about 8 hours.

To my horror, the birds never left the cage.

The millet was untouched and the "pool" wasn't used.

The birds were still sitting IN the cage with doors wide opened.

Up until 2 weeks ago, they'd fight to unlock the door to get out of the cage.

(Birds are very smart and can do things like this.  They can also open screens and fly out the window.)

This morning, I KNEW ...

I had no more ideas.

Woman Sad

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

After reading of you needing some suggestions I was wondering if you ever heard of BEST FRIENDS. I know they are wonderful in taking in many pets,I know they give     wonderful help in  training  unsociable dogs,help with sick pets, geting them back to health . Their main goal is to get as many  adopted,otherwise think they can live on one of their sanctuary, I don't know if you are on the west coast, I know their main campus is Kanab  Utah but I believe they have connection throughout the states,with many other animal agencies.Maybe you can connect with them and they could help you out with help in your state.

Was just wondering you said the shelter gave you a dog that they said was healthy which wasn't the case.With all your bills to prove WHY don't you take it up with your town animal control because that dog should never been allowed to be adopted and sounds like that shelter should be closed  as things spread so fast in shelters.

Honored Contributor

I never had birds before, so i don't know about them, but have had many dogs, mostly goldens  each dog has a personality all their own, i think you need to make a choice, dog,or birds find a no kill shelter, a really good one.

Respected Contributor

@chessielady wrote:

A Basenji is not a rare exotic dog just don't see them to often for many reasons!  I have run into many of that breed. They are difficult to train and do best with people who are familiar with their quirks. Certainly not a breed for just anyone!  I would try and find a breed rescue group.....however that may prove difficult as I would not imagine they are plentiful in all areas. And yes I can believe that a Basenji could end up in a shelter quite easily! They can be a very difficult dog for many people.

I certainly would try and find a no kill shelter that has good reviews and would accept this dog.  Good luck!

===========================================

After much research, I found that out.

The shelter posting this dog as a "chi" and later a "min-pin" mix was a disservice to the public.  Had I known what kind of dog this was, I never would've gotten it.

One Basenji group I contacted turned me down because they have so many purebred Basenjis to place, they no longer accept "mixes".