Respected Contributor

Saddened by these circumstances ...

[ Edited ]

As many of you know, my chihuahua died of cancer in September.

I was grief-stricken beyond consolation.

It is now mid-November and I'm still upset.
I made a terrible mistake and added insult to injury.

VERY LONG story abbreviated to short ...

My local shelter advertised a "chihuahua" mix (which was later advertised as a min-pin) which I adopted.  

Again ... trying to give you the "short version" ...

When I went to see the dog, the dog was deathly sick in the shelter.

The shelter told me the dog had an Upper Respiratory Infection and they'd give me a "10-day supply"  of antibiotics IF I adopted the dog, which I did.

Bait and Switch ...

After the paperwork was processed, they leashed the dog, gave me a bag of dog food, and attempted to send me on my way. 

When I asked for the antibiotics, they told me the dog was "fine" and didn't need antibiotics.

I got very angry at the shelter counselor and accused her and the veterinarian of misleading me.  When the argument escalated to an embarrassing level, I left with the dog and NO antibiotics.
Within the first 10 days, I spent close to $900 on Vet bills only.

After I'd taken the dog to three different Vets, I found out the Shelter lied.

She did not have just a URI.

It took a month, not "10 days" to get the dog well.

I loved and nurtured this dog as if she were my own child.

When she got better, all h*LL broke loose.

I found out from an acquaintance who is a Vet Tech that it is unlikely this dog is a chi or min-pin mix, but is probably (mostly) an African hunting dog called a "Basenji".

She's been trying to kill my birds since she's recovered.

I've tried to rehome the dog, but have gotten unacceptable responses.

I can't give the dog to just anybody just because I need to get "rid" of her.

I've contacted Rescues and placed ads on various websites, but to no avail.

There are just too many homeless dogs available.

In fact, the ****** shelter I got this dog from has been "waiving fees" so they can get rid of their excess inventory.

The whole situation is just shameful.

I'm saddened beyond words.

I don't know what to do.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Saddened by these circumstances ...

I am really sorry for what you are going through.  I cannot imagine how you must feel.  While I have not worked with a shelter directly to adopt, many on here have and I am sure will give excellent advice.  Hang in there.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina , Asking because i was thinking you had posted this before, I really just don't know what you should do,i feel for the dog.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@RinaRina 

My heart is breaking for you.  What that shelter did to you and the dog is beyond shameful and heartless.  

I know you've searched other rescues, but have you tried googling a breed specific rescue or any organization/club for that breed?

I wish you the best.  Please keep us posted.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@RinaRina , Asking because i was thinking you had posted this before, I really just don't know what you should do,i feel for the dog.

===================================

I don't know If I did or not ...

That's how bad things are ...

I don't know what to do.

The whole situation might sound trite to some people, but I'm just messed up over the whole thing.

Now, I'm having crying spells because I miss my chihuahua.

If he hadn't died, none of this would've happened.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Yes, the story was posted before by the OP, but is now gone.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

===================================

I don't know If I did or not ...

That's how bad things are ...

I don't know what to do.

The whole situation might sound trite to some people, but I'm just messed up over the whole thing.

Now, I'm having crying spells because I miss my chihuahua.

If he hadn't died, none of this would've happened.

Can you keep your birds away from the dog? I thought birds stay in cages, do you like the dog,does it fit in your life?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

I am sorry about the passing of your dog and your current situation with the dog you adopted.   

I am a volunteer for the local SPCA in my area.   Our policy for adoptions is if the dog/cat ever needs to be surrendered the dog/cat must be brought back to the SPCA.   What does your adoption paperwork for the dog state in regards to surrendering the dog?   Also,  in our area we have county owned municipal animal shelters where residents of that county can surrender their pets.   Does your area have these type of shelters where you can surrender the dog?   

Respected Contributor

@Chopsmom wrote:

@RinaRina 

I know you've searched other rescues, but have you tried googling a breed specific rescue or any organization/club for that breed?

I wish you the best.  Please keep us posted.

Yes, I have, but with restrictions.

As I previously mentioned, I'm not gonna just give her to anyone who has the "impulse" to get a dog.
This dog is what's called a "sighthound" or "gazehound".  They need a BIG yard to run and chase.  She prefers being outside, not indoors.

Previously, I was getting responses from inappropriate people (i.e., this dog can NOT live in an "apartment" or be left alone in the house all day), so, I had to add the "restrictions".

Respected Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Yes, the story was posted before by the OP, but is now gone.

=============================================

I am so sorry!  I checked and didn't see it, so, I figured the issue was not discussed here.  

I'm just a mess.
This is so awful.

My apologies to anyone who doesn't want to hear me whine about this again.