Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

I feel the same!   My little sweetie.

She's been a little trooper lately, too, @NickNack, what with all the medical testing she's been having at vet offices.

I hope it won't take long to get her dosage stabilized.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Sadly, we'll never know if the medication would have helped.

She died earlier tonight.  

She had a good day, though.  She got to have some bites of chicken & apple sausage after her normal breakfast, and I even let her lick my plate.

She was very happy with her organic poached chicken with veggies for lunch, and she even had a normal dinner.  

After dinner, she became weak and it was hard for her to breathe.

I carried her outside thinking the fresh air might help.

She died in my arms.  She was my best dog ever.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  I'm so very sorry for your loss.  Losing such a beloved dog is very hard.  It sounds like she went quickly and I'm thankful for that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much, @NickNack

She had had a full day of lying in the sun in between getting good munchies all day long..  When evening came, it was surprisingly quick.  I knew she had been getting weaker over the weekend but was hoping that the Cushing's meds would begin to help reverse that.

She only had one dose earlier in the day, and then that evening she had to give up.  I'm glad she didn't linger.  

She's not the first dog I've lost but she was a heart dog.  

Your words mean a lot.  Hugs to you.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I haven't seen any recent discussions of Cushing's in dogs and today I find myself with a dog newly diagnosed with hyperadrenocorticism, or Cushings Disease.

The vet recommends starting with low doses of Trilostane.  We haven't started yet since she was just diagnosed today after her ACTH test.  She'll go back for further monitoring in a couple of weeks after we start the medication.

Do you have any Cushing's stories that you might like to share?

@GingerPeach  Our almost 14 yr. old beagle Sadie was diagnosed w/ Cushings 3 yrs. ago. We noticed early symptoms of constant hunger, drinking full bowls of water and then having puddles in the house...more like lakes...She’s been on medication, which doses have been monitored and amounts changed. She’s now stabilized and doing great for last 2 yrs. on her meds. It’s a scary diagnosis, but w/ early detection, frequent monitoring and a good vet, your dog will be OK. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cushing's dog

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

I haven't seen any recent discussions of Cushing's in dogs and today I find myself with a dog newly diagnosed with hyperadrenocorticism, or Cushings Disease.

The vet recommends starting with low doses of Trilostane.  We haven't started yet since she was just diagnosed today after her ACTH test.  She'll go back for further monitoring in a couple of weeks after we start the medication.

@GingerPeach  Our almost 14 yr. old beagle Sadie was diagnosed w/ Cushings 3 yrs. ago. We noticed early symptoms of constant hunger, drinking full bowls of water and then having puddles in the house...more like lakes...She’s been on medication, which doses have been monitored and amounts changed. She’s now stabilized and doing great for last 2 yrs. on her meds. It’s a scary diagnosis, but w/ early detection, frequent monitoring and a good vet, your dog will be OK. 

@Shanus  Read through the rest of the thread.  Sadly, her dog passed away a couple of nights ago.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Shanus  Read through the rest of the thread.  Sadly, her dog passed away a couple of nights ago.

@NickNack  That’s so sad. It happened very quickly. Teaches me to read entire thread...usually don’t. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sad update on Cushing's dog

[ Edited ]

@Shanus

I just updated the thread title so no one else will be misled.

I do appreciate your words of encouragement since what you said is exactly what I hoped would happen.

She passed away suddenly and quickly after having had a day of sunshine and good munchies.

Today is a good day for ice on the eyelids and maybe later a smokey eye.

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach  I am so sorry for the loss of your dog.  If there could be a perfect last day, she had it and you spent it with her.  Don't take this wrong, but it was gift to have her pass naturally in the arms of someone she loved and who loved her.  We all know that these end times come with our pets.  Yours was a sweet passing. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you in the days ahead as you remember and shed tears.  Time does heal.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Sad update on Cushing's dog

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Shanus

I just updated the thread title so no one else will be misled.

I do appreciate your words of encouragement since what you said is exactly what I hoped would happen.

She passed away suddenly and quickly after having had a day of sunshine and good munchies.

Today is a good day for ice on the eyelids and maybe later a smokey eye.

@GingerPeach  I am truly sorry for the loss of your furry pal.