Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Julie928  In my area, if cats become bothersome people borrow traps from animal control, trap the cats then take them to animal control.  The owner has to pay a fine to get them back, or they're put up for adoption. 

We have leash laws that are the same for dogs and cats.  No roaming animals.  Period.  Cats do more damage than dogs when allowed to roam.  I wouldn't put up with it. 

We too live in a rural area and have a neighbor who lets her cat roam free.  And I agree that cats cause more damage than dogs. We have had our front door ruined from cat spray along with the tires of our vehicles sprayed if we don't keep them in the garage.  I get sick and tired of cleaning up dead cotton-tails and squirrles caused by roaming cats.  We haven't seen the latest intruder lately so maybe a cayote finally got it as they are in abundance here.

Super Contributor

Re: Sad news from a friend

[ Edited ]

@Julie928:  That neighbor is completely unfit to take care of any animal. Knowing the dangers from the outside, she keep letting out her kitties.

Back in 2012, I was forced to give away my kitten named Raph along with his brother Leo. I told that woman ( my parent's friend), never let them outside because they are indoor kittens only.  Three years passed and she  was taking them outside on  her patio. Until one day, she found Raph dead. Apparently, he died poisoned by a toad. When I found out, I cried a lot mourning Raph. I felt devastated. That beautiful kitten was born in my house's patio and was raised completely indoor. I wanted to take  Leo ( my other kitten) away from her. Now, she doesn't let Leo out. Learn her lesson the hard way.

In your neighbor's case, she needs to be reported for animal abuse.