Honored Contributor

Sad ... do not open if you do not want to read this..

[ Edited ]

Family dogs kill 2 Tennessee children, injure mom who tried to stop mauling, family says

Family dogs kill 2 Tennessee children, injure mom who tried to stop mauling, family says (paprclips....

Honored Contributor

Re: Sad ... do not open if you do not want to read this..

Pit bulls, I am not surprised. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

Pit bulls, I am not surprised. 

@Mz iMac    yes.... I know people who stick up for the breed say it is the owners  that make the dogs that mean...... but I beg to differ..it is in that breed of dog's DNA to kill... it has been bred into them...   

My neighbors next door recently got two pit bull male puppies... they are full grown now... I always pray that they are never loose when I take my two pups out on a walk on leash...

now, after this article, I am even more scared....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are many very friendly, easy going pitbulls out there, so I can't blame the breed, but I think this thread might go that way. 

What makes pitbulls more dangerous than other dogs is they hang on after they bite, then thrash back and forth like a shark.  The victim tries to pull away causing more damage.  I don't know of any other breed that does that.  

My first question always and I believe very legitimate..."What were the children doing to the dogs?"

I've seen some very bad behavior towards dogs from kids, more than I would tolerate...yet many dogs do and parents don't correct it.  Dogs aren't punching bags.

More than likely, the 5 month old wasn't involved, but screaming and loud laughing from this can make dogs hyper and nervous.

Why the dogs attacked the mother, I don't know.  I'd like to know more about the dogs' history, age, how long they lived with this family, background, where they were obtained.  

I don't believe dogs attack for no reason, even pitbulls.  The dogs saw these children as a threat for some reason and of course, the article gives us no clues leading everyone to believe pitbulls are very harmful. 

There are many very friendly easy going pitbulls out there, so I can't blame the breed.  

Honored Contributor

I saw it on Facebook but I didn't have the heart to read the details.  

Respected Contributor

Pair of Family Pit Bulls Kill Two

5-month old Hollace and 2-year old Lilly, were pronounced dead at the scene after being mauled by the family's pet pit bulls. The couple had owned the two pit bulls, Cheech and Mia, for over eight years without a violent incident.

pair of pit bulls kills two

Male pit bull, "Cheech," on left and female pit bull "Mia" seen on the father's Facebook page. 

Honored Contributor

Some dog breeds are too risky, like the pit bulls and the Chows.  Even some mixed breeds.  I still think you shouldn't put small children and animals together without any adult around. Dog and cats are part of the animals in nature called Surplus killers.  That means they are capable of killing for other reasons then food.  Cats are notorious for this.  They just enjoy hunting, stalking and killing other small animals.  Dogs are too, but they become dangerous because they are bigger and heavier.  Other animals in this groups are foxes (one fox killed 30 chickens and didn't even eat one, Dolphins, Orcas, lions etc..  Some animals are not and will only kill for food.  Sharks are not, Whales are not. But we don't have them as pets.  Roughly half of the world animals are though. Much higher than I thought.  #1 of course are humans.

Frequent Contributor

Very tragic. I see they owned the dogs for 8 years and then had children. It is possible they may have exercised the dogs less, crated them more, paid less attention to them, etc as they had two little ones to attend to. This may have created instability or even jealousy in the dogs.  Plus the animals may not have been properly habituated to being around small children. Recipe for disaster all around. Just not a good idea to mix powerful dogs like that with very young children.  

I am not a fan of pit bulls to begin with but I could see this happening with other breeds too. Of course, if a chichuaha bites it would be a lot easier to stop it. Most of the time with very small dogs the worry is the opposite -- that the children will hurt the dog. But in any event when it comes to dogs and children, they have to be properly socialized together.  It is obvious that did not happen here and the result was horrendous. 

Respected Contributor

Honestly...I don't care if it's not the breed's fault. Fine. Ok. That's nice.

But if I had small kids...just asking for trouble by owning this breed. I'd never in a million years do it. 

So many other breeds where that is not likely to happen. Why oh why, take any slimmest of chances.

Tragic. I'm sorry for that family. 

Valued Contributor

Too many accidents via pit bulls to have them around small children and risk injury or death.  There are two examples that haunt me because I was either there or I saw the victim in recovery.

The first was a five year old girl who was attacked by a neighbor's pit bull in her yard and was nearly completely scalped at 3 years old. Two years later, the skin and hair that remained at the base of her scalp was still being stretched to hopefully reach the top of her head.

The second was a frightening experience with my DGD when she was about 2 years old. Her mom loved her pit bull, and to my surprise, mentioned this admiration a few days ago which was 8 years after multiple close calls, and the close call I was involved in.

When my DGD was 2 years old she seemed to trigger the dog.  I don't know if it was her size or perhaps quick movements.  I witnessed her mom separate her dog from her daughter with a broom when the dog would lurch toward the toddler with teeth snarling.

This happened when I was babysitting my DGD one day.  I was so frightened and worried the scare might cause my heart to stop and, who would be there for my DGD?  I have never gotten over this event or the other one I described.  My DD kept her dog that passed from natural causes and old age. I never understood why my DD kept that dog and risked her DD getting injured or worse.