Regular Contributor

Sad and Seeking Advice - Tragic Update

Hi everyone. I just wanted to give an update. Unfortunately it is a tragic one.

On Tuesday I called the humane society to tell them that after Sammy and Larry are checked out, we want to try integrating them into our home with our current girl Chloe. We were going to start with Sammy after he was cleared from all of the testing.

One thing that I hadn’t mentioned in my original post was we had noticed that Sammy would open his mouth like he was meowing, but usually only a little squeak or nothing would come out. I mentioned that to the humane society when we dropped them off on Saturday.

I called today to follow up and was given the unfortunate news that they found that Sammy had a heart base tumor that was pushing on his esophagus, which is why he couldn’t meow. They asked the vet if we could bring him home to live out his final days but she said he was in too much pain and they had to euthanize him. Although we are broken hearted, I’m glad that we got him the help that he so desperately needed. Shame on the dirty rotten individual(s) that dumped that sweet little boy.

She said they have kept Larry in the large shelter with the bed he shared with Sammy, instead of putting him in the community cat room. One of the shelter workers is going to take Larry home with her. She said they had him up in the front office today to give him lots of love and attention. I’m sure she will give him a happy home and hopefully she will permanently adopt him.

Love hurts so bad sometimes, doesn’t it? 😢
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Sad and Seeking Advice - Tragic Update

@whatsmyname - Take solace in the fact that you helped Sammy and Larry to get the care they both needed.

We can't always have the outcome we want, but you did a good thing.  Heart

Trusted Contributor

Blessings to you for what you did.  That little guy would have suffered so until he passed on his own.  Because you rescued him he was able to transition in peaceful way.  I hope karma deals harshly with the person who dumped those little ones. Sometimes I like animals way more than I like people.  I'm very glad to hear Larry will have a good life. 

Respected Contributor

I am so sad and sorry to hear this news, @whatsmyname but at least you know you did your very best for the boys, and the HS found out what was going on, and did the kindest thing they could do.  I am glad that at least one of the boys has a good home for life.

Honored Contributor

@whatsmyname   I'm so very sorry to hear this news.  It's wonderful that you took them in, though, so that Sammy was able to get the care that he needed.  I'm glad he's no longer in pain,  That must be a comfort to you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I'm glad things worked out as well as they did.  Shame on those who are cruel to animals.  I have no words to express how I feel about animal cruelty.

One is at peace now and the other will be ok in a new loving home.

You did a kind thing indeed.  Blessings to you.

Respected Contributor

Once we found a sweet stray cat that did not meow/breathe well, and when we took her to the vet he stated that she was probably hit by a car because the lungs were pushed high into the chest.

Although I try to give my pets the best possible medical care (and have paid out thousands in my life), the vet told me that it was not possible to fix this. Of course I was willing to take her home and let her live a happy and safe life, but the vet said if the cat became scared or excited and started breathing wrong, she could actually painfully suffocate herself to death in a short time.

So sadly he euthanized her.

So sorry to hear your news.  Loving animals means we also suffer when they suffer.  They have shorter lives, but they bring us joy and memories which will endure forever.

Super Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Blessings to you for what you did.  That little guy would have suffered so until he passed on his own.  Because you rescued him he was able to transition in peaceful way.  I hope karma deals harshly with the person who dumped those little ones. Sometimes I like animals way more than I like people.  I'm very glad to hear Larry will have a good life. 

AMEN to that!!

Super Contributor

@whatsmyname wrote:
Hi everyone. I just wanted to give an update. Unfortunately it is a tragic one.

On Tuesday I called the humane society to tell them that after Sammy and Larry are checked out, we want to try integrating them into our home with our current girl Chloe. We were going to start with Sammy after he was cleared from all of the testing.

One thing that I hadn’t mentioned in my original post was we had noticed that Sammy would open his mouth like he was meowing, but usually only a little squeak or nothing would come out. I mentioned that to the humane society when we dropped them off on Saturday.

I called today to follow up and was given the unfortunate news that they found that Sammy had a heart base tumor that was pushing on his esophagus, which is why he couldn’t meow. They asked the vet if we could bring him home to live out his final days but she said he was in too much pain and they had to euthanize him. Although we are broken hearted, I’m glad that we got him the help that he so desperately needed. Shame on the dirty rotten individual(s) that dumped that sweet little boy.

She said they have kept Larry in the large shelter with the bed he shared with Sammy, instead of putting him in the community cat room. One of the shelter workers is going to take Larry home with her. She said they had him up in the front office today to give him lots of love and attention. I’m sure she will give him a happy home and hopefully she will permanently adopt him.

Love hurts so bad sometimes, doesn’t it? 😢

At times, it is just unbearable!!  

Honored Contributor

So verry sorry.  My tears are with you.