Trusted Contributor

Sad Walk With Dog Today

[ Edited ]

Took my little guy for a walk this morning.  He stopped and was smelling the grass near the park and I saw there were 2 little birds that had fallen out of their nest during the storms last night.  I looked at them and they looked at me with their big eyes.

I continued my walk and started thinking what should I do?   I came back to the spot and knew it was going to be in the 90's today and later the sun would be baking on them.  I had my empty plastic poo poo bag and wrapped it around my hand and lifted one.  I was thinking of bringing them home and searching on line what to do.

The little baby bird then started running and went into the street.  I scooted it back on to the grass and then birds in the trees all started chirping at me.  All I could think of was the movie "The Birds" and that the adult birds were going to attack me - it was so loud.

I then left and read on-line that you should just leave the birds that fall out of the tree alone and the mom and dad are close by and will take care of things.

Before the two little birds were only about 1 foot apart from each other, but after my sad attempt to help, they are probably about 10 feet apart.

I tried to help, but I probably did the wrong thing - I should of just left nature take care of things.  Oh well, I have tears in my eye now as I write this - I hope I did not make things worse.

Respected Contributor

Please don't berate yourself - you had the best of intentions.

It's human nature to want to reach out and help. Seeing the two little ones helpless in this horrible heat would touch the coldest hearts.

Hopefully, the little ones will be taken care of by "the watchers". 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @DSD2  for the comforting words.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop    It was so kind of you to try to help.  Like you, I've been in similar situations and was not sure of the correct thing to do.  Those tiny birds seem so helpless and vulnerable on the ground.  I actually had a baby robin follow me around the back yard like I was its mama but in the end, I just left it there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 , thank you for your kind words.   I'll be going by that spot again tomorrow and hoping they'll be gone.  I'll be hoping that mom and dad moved them to a safer spot. 

Respected Contributor

It's so hard to know what to do in a situation like this.  You have a good heart. 

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop last year I noticed a baby robin in my pool, trying hard to stay above the surface of the water.  I scooped it out with the skimmer net but it didn't move. It was late evening and the thing showed no desire to walk or fly away.  I put it in a container, covered it with a top that was propped to the side to allow air, and put it in my garage.

In the morning it was chirping loudly, as if to say, "Hey, I need food here, get your lazy butt out of bed!"  I wasn't looking forward to it but was prepared for the 3 hr round trip to the wild animal rescue/rehab place.  (Yes, I've been there before!) Went into the garage, and on a whim took the container down to the side of our pasture, gently angled the container so the bird slid out onto the grass and thought, why am I bothering?  There's no avoiding that trip.  

To my surprise the tiny robin abruptly flew clear across our pasture and onto a far away tree branch!  I did a happy dance and hosed the container!  The only thing I could think of was that the bird was a fledgling and had been in our pool a while when I spotted it.  Likely it was exhausted by the time I resuced it and needed to rest.  

I tell you this so you'll not feel bad about your efforts to rescue those young birds.  You might have given them just what they needed at that moment and they may have been able to fly away a short time later. Smiley Happy  

Trusted Contributor

Update: 

Today I went again with my little guy for our morning walk and 1 of the little birds did not survive; however, the good news is that the other one that was a lot more active (the one I had to scoot out of the street) is missing.  Hopefully mom and dad were able to take care of him, or maybe he was even able to fly away!

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop 

It's sad the other bird passed.  

You're not alone.  I think most people would be inclined to help an animal.  I'm glad it survived.  Your heart's in the right place.  Be kind to yourself.  Heart