Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Sammycat1   Thank you for checking on us.  I'm going to be grieving for Frankie for a long time.  She was my constant companion and was so special to me.  

Henry is looking for her.  I took her favorite  bed up so I could wash it (Henry doesn't use beds), and Henry sniffed every inch of the floor under it.  He has been confused about what's going on ever since Frankie got sick.  

He is a comfort to me.  He sits on my lap a lot and is very sweet.  I'm so glad I have him.  His third birthday is coming up soon.

How is your Frankie doing?  I think about her a lot, too.

@NickNack 

You'll both be grieving a long time, and that's OK. It takes what it takes, and hearts that love the most deeply ache the most deeply--and take that much more to heal.

You know, it will sound crazy, but I found it helpful to write a letter to each pet that passed away in the early aftermath. I told them why i loved them, including all the crazy and wonderful things they did over the years, as well as their quirks and habits and our shared experiences. I saved each of these letters with the pets' items and, although hard to write, they became a cherished part of my memory of them.

My Frankie is in the early stages of her new regimen. She zones significantly to each new pain med introduced, so we are trying to titrate and work within the vet's initial guidance. It's a journey, and that's OK. The advance of this pain means a deterioration of her condition, and it scares me. In the meantime, if you're in the mood, I posted a photo of her today on the Schmoo thread-and some of my friend's kitties.  All are snoozing by their Yeowww! catnip bananas.  Henry may need one of these, seriously, during this phase.

Treat yourself gently and you and Henry hug each other tight.

Valued Contributor

I've been following your posts about sweet Frankie and so hoping she would rebound.  I know all too well the grief losing a beloved pet causes.  May your wonderful memories of her see you through and her spirit remain with you always.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Sammycat1 .  I went to the Schmoo thread and loved the pictures of your babies.  I posted on it and hope they'll all recover soon.  

I love the idea of a letter to Frankie.  I think I'll start one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

I know today is a very sad day.  I thought about you last night and I hope the pain eases a tiny bit with each passing day.  I hope Henry is giving you some extra love and providing some comfort 

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1  Beautiful and touching!

Valued Contributor

@NickNack  I am SO sorry to read this. The worst part of pet ownership is ill and aging  furkids. I am crying with you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I'm kinda shocked to hear this, as I was hoping it wasn't so serious.   I'm very sad and sorry for you.  I see you did everything you could...its just very sad.  Please take care of yourself, and take time to heal.❤

Valued Contributor

My heart is breaking for you.  I am sorry for your loss.😥

Respected Contributor

Re: Sad News About Frankie

[ Edited ]

Dear @NickNack 

My heart goes out to you at this time.  Sweet Frankie was loved by us all & won't be forgotten.  

I hope you realize you did Frankie a favor by making the "unselfish" difficult decision to relieve her of her pain.  She relied on you for love & comfort, and, that you did!  You gave her the best years of her life & I have no doubt she knew that.  She's now making many friends at The Bridge.  She'll be looking down upon you & her brother to let you know she loves you both.

I'm glad you have wonderful memories of her to hold close always.  I've never forgotten my "man of the house Jasper cat".  He went to sleep forever in 2012, but he's forever in my heart.  And, I know, Frankie is with you forever also.

May the days ahead get easier for you & Mr. Henry.  I'm sure Sweet Henry will do his best to lift your spirits & get you to smile.  He'll be good company for you.

Please take care  Heart

EDIT:  I meant to also say I was with my Jasper as he went to sleep.  I'll never forget with tears, I was softly speaking to him, while petting him gently.  I was standing behind his head & he actually had turned his head, eyes wide open, staring at me.  In my heart, I felt he was thanking me.  It's a precious memory I'll never forget.  

So, I hope your memory of this special time with Frankie, finds you at ease with your decision.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Thinking of you, Frankie, and Henry today.

The days after are so hard too.  I wake up each morning and immediately think, ‘Is it still true?’  A glimmer of hope just before the reality settles back in.

Peace to all.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras