Esteemed Contributor

** Sad ~ I'm Taking My Cockatiel to a New Home **

[ Edited ]

Little Buddy found me six months ago by landing in one of our trees. I have put his story in this column. I've tried to find his owner and haven't had any luck. We have fallen in love with him and he with us, but we were not in the market for a bird as we have two dogs and a cat. At any rate, I contacted every rescue organization in our state and no one is interested in taking a cockatiel. They mostly have rescue stations for the large birds and they are over booked with birds. I found someone that my vet tech recommended and we are taking him tomorrow. He will join a small flock of his own kind and I believe he will love it. I cried the whole time I was calling around to place him, but I know he will be happy. Heart 

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Re: ** Sad ~ I'm Taking My Cockatiel to a New Home **

Truest devotion to the pets we love is to place their welfare first, even before how much we love them.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep

I know it breaks your heart since you've bonded with him, but you are doing what's the very best for him.......that's true love!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom@violann  Thank you so much. I really needed to hear your words.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

You are a very nice person. It was thoughtful and giving for what you did for the cockatiel.

The bird was so fortunate to have been found by you, and to have your love, determination and devotion. You have giving him a future. You have been so kind.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclets  Thank you so very much and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Esteemed Contributor

So sad for you.  I understand how you are feeling.  Years ago, I rescued a baby bluejay who had fallen from the nest.  We called him Babee.  Babee was so sweet and intelligent and loving.  Babee was part of our family (consisting of my Mum and me!).  We were always together.

But, Babee would hear his borthers and sisters tweeting and would smile and tweet at me.  I couldn't leave Babee outside alone as for Babee did not know how to function amongst the wildlife. 

It was a very painful decision - for my and Babee - but, I brought Babee to Tufts Wildlife, leaving Babee's 'bed' and blankie (facecloth) as comfort.  They had a special transition team to acclimate Babee into wildlife and when released into the 'wild', it would be either in the far eastern or western parts of the state so Babee could not return.  I cried all the way home - for days actually.  So, I know how you feel.  But, remember, you're doing what's best for him.

P.S.  For years, and even occasionally, I still call out when i see a beautiful jay around the house (the doctor and staff had said Babee was a very beautiful bluejay).  Just gotta tell yourself you did what was best for the bird - sometimes it hurts when we love, even if unplanned.  But, imho, we each give a little piece of our hearts and it's a privilege to bond with all of God's creatures.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme  How sweet you are and such kind words. Thank you. I love blue jays and feed them peanuts. They recognize me when I go outside and come flying in for their treats. Smart little guys. It's really difficult to save a baby bird once they've fallen from their nest. You did awesome !!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You rescued him....gave him safety and now he will live out his life  in a safe loving environment. @pattypeep  You did everything right and good for both you and the bird.  Be proud!

you can always go back and get him if it is too hard.....many people have dogs and cats and birds. 

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama

Any words of wisdom for @pattypeep ?