Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

Please point out those "lot of assumptions".

The only assumptions I see are the exact same one that YOU made, that they need to consult a PROFESSIONAL TRAINER.

You just can't help but make your posts about scolding others, in this case, unrightfully so.

My response was to the OP and was not directed or "scolding"  others. But thank you for scolding me with your assumption. Have a good day.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

As a certified member of the Certification Council For Professional Dog Trainers, you're very welcome @CrazyDaisy .

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Can't believe the organization placed this poor dog in a home w/a baby. Probably will have to be rehomed. I'm sure the dog was not fed the right way and that accounts for the feeding problem.

We have had many dogs over the years. Our latest is a 7 year Corgi (we think). When we got him he had a lot of heath problems and was a frightened little man. He had to go through many surgeries and treatments and we were not sure he would survive. We decided that if he had to die he would die in peace and knowing he was loved.

He had broken ribs and other problems. That was a year ago.

The organization also got references from friends and a home visit.

Sorry this is so long .  At the time we had 4 dogs. One died shortly after we adopted our little man. She was a German Shepherd that was 16 years old.

When we adopted Sparky I knew we wouldn't have Reilly for very long.

Can't type any more I am crying.

@Group 5 minus 1, please don't apologize.....we all understand your pain.  My Jade passed over and then came Eddy - similar circumstance.  When you can, relax and listen.  I'm sure your precious girl will give you a significant sign of her presence with you.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

As a certified member of the Certification Council For Professional Dog Trainers, you're very welcome @CrazyDaisy .

Cool how long have you been a CCPDT member?  Do you also have your Behavior Certification?  Perhaps we have met before.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I'd need to know more about this dog.  Male or female?  Neutered?  Do they have any history at all about the dog before they got it other than it came from Mississippi?

What is the dog doing that makes the owners think it doesn't like the child? How does the child behave around the dog?  Does he appear to like the dog?  The dog might be reacting to the child's behavior. Is the child afraid of the dog?  Why?  Was he properly introduced to the dog?  Did the owners have any fear the dog might be harmful to the child when he was born?  Dogs sense these things.

How long have they had the lab?  Did they have it before the baby was born?  Had it been adopted before, then returned to the rescue?  

If they had it before the baby was born, were there any behavior problems?  Was it ever around kids before the baby was born?

If they had the dog before the baby was born, was the dog properly introduced to the new addition?

Is the baby getting all the attention?  Are the owners making sure the dog is getting enough exercise?

Was the dog properly trained?  Does it know commands and the word "NO?"  Does it growl if the owner takes away one of its toys? The dog may not have learned its place in the family.

Of course, it could be this lab doesn't like kids....but that's unusual for a lab.  Not knowing the dog's history...possibly, in a previous home, the dog had some bad experiences with kids, but this could be more of an owner problem that needs corrected. 

Owners are much more difficult to train than dogs, so I'd say, probably best this dog goes to a home without kids...preferably one where the owners are older.  

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

A friend's son has a 5yr-old chocolate lab rescued from Mississippi.  He also has a cutiepie son Levi, not quite a year old.

The beautiful lab may have to be rehomed - hoping not!  This pup doesn't like the baby!!!!  And she said he is also showing food aggression.

Told her I'd check with everyone here to see how this behavior can be negated and this young family can live happily every after again!

The first sign of aggression that dog would be out of my house...............baby comes first!!

Honored Contributor

@Drythe ...

Respected Contributor

Goldenlocks - 

Dogs of   A N Y   age (unless impaired in some way) are able to receive information and be trained, by the right trainer and a willing family able to put in the time to follow through.

That said - rehoming via a BREED SPECIFIC rescue is best.  

Most all breeds have their own rescue groups. 

I watch enough Tia Maria Torres to see the worst dogs, most fearful, hardest life prior to her rescuing them get trained and sent to loving homes.

I'd not keep an aggressive dog in my home with a very small child, it could end tragically.

Esteemed Contributor

To @KingstonsMom, @queendiva, @hollusunshine, @MziMac, @NameAlreadyTaken, @Tallgal, @CrazyDaisy, @Pook@Foxxee, @kelsey17, @felinegroovy, @MoonieBaby

Summarized your replies and messaged my friend.  Then she told me she had forgotten to mention the dog has anxiety issues!  Anyways, left it at recommending a certified trainer come to home and take it from there...

Want to than you all for the helpful information.  Hope this furbaby can be helped.  Hopefully the Lab and Levi (the baby!) will easily get thru this and become 'best friends' for life!Heart

Respected Contributor

I would seriously consider rehomeing her.  They may make inroads towards her tolerating this little member of the "Pack"  but I wouldn't Trust her with the baby. If she's food aggressive that is Another consideration because babys grab at everything and don't understand  don't touch doggies bowl.  The lab needs some DEDICATED behavior modification by and with the Family under a behaviorists direction.  This is not an easy fix. and it will take time and steadfast devotion by the family ( who have lives and a child to deal with.  This is not a bash it is just that families are Busy as it is. ) maybe pup would be happier in a home with adults and be the only pet instead of worrying about if the baby is going to pull her tail or steal Her food.  I do wish them the best in this endevor.