Honored Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR WATER BOWL...

@Drythe ...  ;-)

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 ,  thanks for picture and reply.  Gosh, I'm sorry to hear of your injury...hope you feel better very soon!!

Respected Contributor

My experience is with cats, but I've had a couple who "activate" their water by rocking the bowl or pan it's in, which can also be messy. I've handled that in two ways. One is double-bowling, putting the water bowl is inside a larger bowl or pan, which contains the slops. The other is using a washable puppy pee pad and putting the bowl in the middle of it, so there's plenty of absorbents around the bowl. I like the Ruff 'n Rufus puppy pads on Amaon. They have a nice green print and come with a bonus collapsible travel bowl and a bone-shaped holder with poop bags. (I gave the latter to a friend who travels with her little dog.)

I normally use these puppy pads to go under litter boxes, but they were ideal when one of my cats got especially feisty with her water bowl for a while.

I would also switch to stainless bowls from plastic. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 ,  ya know I've considered just what you said, especially since Teaspoon doesn't mind drinking out of Gabriels bowl.  I've tried several times not putting her bowl down in order to teach Gabriel to drink from his own bowl.  Doesn't really bother Teaspoon,  but she will and does like drinking from her own little bowl at times too, so i felt bad not to let her have it.  But really, this might be the solution...one big bowl...no mess.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack , I'll look for this mat you mentioned, with raised sides.  I'm still going to replace these bowls..they're plastic and the bottom is always wet...leaky.   Gabriel has stainless steel on a raised bottom,  nothing leaks...but only Teaspoon drinks from it, not him.  Go figure.   Every bowl i replace for Teaspoon,  Gabriel has to use it.🤷‍♀️. I did have small stainless steel for Teaspoon too, but I replaced them with these larger bowls...that leak.

@Dazlin   It's a silicone pet food mat that I have.  I just looked on Amazon, and there are many choices.  I think you would like it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@noodleann ...never thought of double bowling..great idea.   I think I'm going to pick up Teaspoons little bowl, and just use the big one Gabriel has, since she'll drink from it.  Also its really ridiculous Gabriel drinks from her bowl...one lap, and its gone.  Hes a big dog and needs more water than one lick🙄.   I'll look into to mat nicknack uses too.   Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ...just looked, saw several to choose from.   I think its going to serve well.   I'll look more tomorrow and going to order it...thanks so much!😀

I'll post back tomorrow.  Have a good night.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

Ive always had a double bowl feeder for my little Maltese, Teaspoon,  but since I got Gabriel,  my big Lab, he insists on drinking out of Teaspoons bowl.  One lap and its all gone, so im constantly filling this bowl.  Gabriel has his own large bowls, but nooooo, has to have Teaspoons.  Then Teaspoon drinks from his bowl.   So i set out and found a medium size bowl,  small enough but not too tiny  enough in case Gabriel still drinks from it.  Im still having to fill it several times a day though.  Problem is, I'm finding water everywhere.   Its either leaky and or splashing out.  Constant mess.   As for a feed dish, I don't leave Teaspoons food down,  because Gabe will eat it, so i pick that up.  But I need a decent size water bowl that'll suit both a little Maltese and big goofy Lab.  Something that doesn't leak all over if possible.  

I keep doggie mats down too, but they get soaked through.   Any suggestions?

@Dazlin 

Lab lover here.  You know, it’s funny, Labs don’t seem to swallow that last slurp of water!  I keep a pee pad under our water bowl for that reason.

Check your water bowl, it might not have a leak!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin,  I have two water bowls for my dogs, one is a splasher.  I place the small one in an aluminum pie plate and the larger one sits on a pizza pan.  Easy to empty the splashes and clean.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

So far I ordered the 12 x 19 silicone mat.  I picked up Teaspoons small water bowl, and they'll share Gabriel's large stainless steel bowl.  I do see that Gabriel leaves a trail of water after he drinks.  Hopefully the new mat will catch most of it.    I had 3 other large dogs and one also being a Lab, and never had a flood like what Gabriel leaves.   Oh well 🤷‍♀️.   Great suggestions,  thanks so much everyone!!