Respected Contributor

SUGGESTIONS FOR WATER BOWL...

Ive always had a double bowl feeder for my little Maltese, Teaspoon,  but since I got Gabriel,  my big Lab, he insists on drinking out of Teaspoons bowl.  One lap and its all gone, so im constantly filling this bowl.  Gabriel has his own large bowls, but nooooo, has to have Teaspoons.  Then Teaspoon drinks from his bowl.   So i set out and found a medium size bowl,  small enough but not too tiny  enough in case Gabriel still drinks from it.  Im still having to fill it several times a day though.  Problem is, I'm finding water everywhere.   Its either leaky and or splashing out.  Constant mess.   As for a feed dish, I don't leave Teaspoons food down,  because Gabe will eat it, so i pick that up.  But I need a decent size water bowl that'll suit both a little Maltese and big goofy Lab.  Something that doesn't leak all over if possible.  

I keep doggie mats down too, but they get soaked through.   Any suggestions?

Super Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR WATER BOWL...

Teaspoon, such a cute name!

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin  Good luck to you. I raised a Lab and a Maine Coon cat together. What a mess! They both drank out of the same bowl. The Lab was a slop and the Maine Coon liked to play with the water. Changed the water and wiped up all day every day. 

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin 

Heres what I do. I place a wee wee pad down fold it and put her bowls on it. Saves me a lot of cleaning up. A towel might help if you don't want to purchase the pads, but to me it's worth getting the pads. Good Luck

Honored Contributor

I have a large stainless steel dog bowl. Ava and Henry don’t splash water though. I have also used a rubber type placemat underneath the bowls. It has slightly raised sides that would contain any splashes. I bought it on Amazon.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

My grand babies are German Shorthairs and they love all things water.

For everyone's sanity they now have a bowl in the garage and another one on the back deck.  

What you don't see (or walk through) is calming.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I'll look for this mat you mentioned, with raised sides.  I'm still going to replace these bowls..they're plastic and the bottom is always wet...leaky.   Gabriel has stainless steel on a raised bottom,  nothing leaks...but only Teaspoon drinks from it, not him.  Go figure.   Every bowl i replace for Teaspoon,  Gabriel has to use it.🤷‍♀️. I did have small stainless steel for Teaspoon too, but I replaced them with these larger bowls...that leak.

Respected Contributor

@KBEANS , the wee wee pad sounds like a nice idea, but Gabriel shredds anything papery.   I once left one down for Teaspoon while she was on meds, and he shredded the entire thing.  I tried paper towels too...worse!

I'm probably going to go back to raised stainless steel bowls...probably a midsize, and look for the mat nicknack mentioned.   I looked into auto waterers and I really don't like the big jar reservoir and sitting water.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin    I can't decide from what you wrote if you think it's necessary for each dog to have its own water bowl.  It's not; I've had as many as five drinking the same water.  I use a stainless steel bucket that probably holds about 2 gallons.  I fill it once a day.  It's too heavy to be moved or overturned and, since I don't fill it to the top, there is no splashing.  My "short" dog has no trouble drinking from it.

I got my bucket at a TruValue Hardware store years ago.  It's very easy to scrub and keep clean.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't know if this would work for you but I bought this for my cat (Bill).  I cannot get him to drink water so he has special prescription cat food and a little prescription hard cat food (teeth).

So, I'm thinking it might be good for your teaspoon doggie because it (water) flows out over the leaves.

I doubt that the big dog will get enough water from it and might leave it alone, while your little furbaby can drink (lick, slurp) some and come and go with it?

I wish I knew you because I'm going to give it to my friend because it won't work for Bill.  My daughter is staying here with me helping me with my broken back and her mid-size dog (Luna Lee) with a few licks (after she licks on it) Bill (being a cat and smelling the dog) wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!  Ha!

Bill puts a hurtin' on Luna.  They've actually wrestled.  Poor Luna just wants some lovin'.

Anyway here it is.  Look at it.  I can't send the address or it will get zapped but it's on Amazon and I typed in "flowing water for cats"  (I figure if your furbaby is small it might work).

I fall into that problem with my 2 cats as far as food goes.  Katie the smaller cat and who's afraid of everything in the world likes to graze (leave and eat and go back to it) but Bill will eat his food and then what Katie thinks will be there later.

When Katie comes back to eat Bill has eaten it (sounds like your problem except with water).

Catit Flower Water Fountain