Esteemed Contributor

My Eddy, a pit/cocker, has suddenly begun digging a hole in his yard.  I have no idea as to what initiated this behavior, nor how to stop it. I adopted Eddy about  a year and a half ago.  He came from NYC so don't think he ever was into digging holes before. He's a very happy pup of nine years old and gets plenty of exercise "playing" ball. It seems this is Eddy's new hobby!

If any of you have had a similar problem, could you tell me how you stopped this behavior. Right now, if I catch him diggin, I call him in; not very effective because he often likes to just walk around or lounge in his enlosed yard.

Honored Contributor

This time of year, dogs often dig to find a cool place in which to lie.  The ground, down a few inches, is much cooler.  Even my Collies,  which aren't diggers, would do it.   Bring Eddy in the house... he's hot. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @Kachina624, but he's digging in the hottest spot of his yard. My Jade always dug right behind the Rhodie bush/tree, whatever - it's huge! But, I go out every ten minutes trying to get Eddy inside: he loves to lay on 3x5 doormats right outside the back door. The hole he's working on is deep and small in diameter.  But, you gave me an idea: perhaps, I can go out with Eddy and start a hole behind the Rhodie. Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Could be he's smelling something there. A mole or something. I have 4 dogs none dig much but on occasion they seem to find a smell that needs a little investigation. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Could be he's smelling something there. A mole or something. I have 4 dogs none dig much but on occasion they seem to find a smell that needs a little investigation. 

@Lali1

That could be it! Eddy appears to be digging deeper rather than wider. He's like bigtime into "hunting" and has actually caught a couple of mice in the house before I called someone in. I live in MA and have never seen a mole around here, but possible there's some animal that lives underground!  Thanks.

Any recommendations for stopping the "investigation"Woman Very Happy?

Respected Contributor

Maybe just lay something over the hole when you go out there if you go out with him. Maybe he'll forget about it if he can't get to it.