Honored Contributor

SUDDEN CAT BITING AND AGGRESSION

[ Edited ]

I welcome all feedback, suggestions and advice here regarding this change in behavior.  My cat Bogey's annual checkup is in March, but I'll go in earlier if necessary.

My cat Bogey is 7 1/2 years old, neutered, and has always been a sweet and playful kitty.   My SO likes to play feather and stick hunting games, under a sheet draped over a chair.   Bogy likes to hunt for the feather ... you get the idea.  It's a fun hunting game.

A few weeks ago Bogey made a couple jumps/biting when my SO was closing up the house for the night.  It seems like Bogey got a little "frantic" that his human playmate was not going to be playing anymore, although he did play with him earlier in the evening.  It was a surprising reaction.   

A couple other times, Bogey tried to jump at me or bite me.   Both times I was on my bed reading and Bogey was with me.  These were intermittent reactions, not every day by any means.   I don't know what could have triggered these responses.

What is causing this change in behavior?   NO difference in eating or litter box habits; everything normal there.  

If I had to guess, MY guess is perhaps Bogey needs more exercise to satisfy his male cat energy.    Nothing else seems different.    

I've never seen this behavior before, so I welcome all feedback ......   TIA!

ETA:   to add that Bogey has been neutered.
Honored Contributor

Re: SUDDEN CAT BITING AND AGGRESSION

Wow, that radical change in behaviour all of a sudden, although intermittent, is puzzling.

Maybe you could call your Vet prior to his annual visit in March, describe this behaviour and see what they think?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

You don't mention if Bogey is neutered. If he's not neutered his male cat energy may be based on hormones and increasing frustrating mating urges. Get him neutered!

Now if Bogey is already an altered male then I would theorize that his play sessions may be too aggressive and stir him up so he interprets play with pouncing and biting. Maybe it's time to dial back the kind of play that allows him to hunt and capture the feather on the stick. Maybe he could interact with a toss and fetch game, rolling a ball for him to run to and  bring back. Or try a cat toy he has to figure out instead of capture.

If he isn't aware that his biting and jumping is unwelcome or doesn't distinguish it from play behavior, he might need a little firmness to show what you don't like and engage in much less play that involves surprise "attacks" under the sheet. Do some brushing and stroking to get him relaxed and let him associate being near you and your SO with pleasure and more gentleness. 

It will be almost impossible for anyone to know why cats do the nutty things they do and why their behavior seems to suddenly change. They are fascinating and delightful animals and I think they're all pretty nutty, too. Cute, weird and nutty. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I have 6 cats and have had cats for many years.  I have learned that when a cat starts to act differently than normal, there is something different going on inside.  My first reaction would be to take the cat to the vet and talk to them.  Do not try to guess or assume something else.  Animals will sometimes change their habits when they are ill and then ask you for help in their own way.  Good luck and just give your cat a hug for me.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal 

Bogey was neutered at 3 months .... the very day I adopted him.   Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would say def. take bogey to the vet - it could be his thyroid is acting up (hyperthyroid) - it's worth checking that and make sure everything else is ok too.  Aside from that I agree with @gizmogal it's possible that the play sessions may be too aggressive.  They can get revved up!   I heard something very interesting from a vet, long ago.  He mentioned to me that he always looks to see the relationship between the owners and the pets  - meaning how the cat (in my case) sees their person - that sometimes the kitty sees their owners as their parents, or as their friends, or as their loves, or as other cats.  Perhaps bogey is seeing you both as cats?  After all, you're fun to play with! 

After checking kitty at vet, assuming all is well, there are some relaxing homepathics or ferimone type things you can try.  Maybe again, also per @gizmogal your kitty needs to remember that you guys are the alphas in the family.  

@Tinkrbl44 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Cats do what cats do. Our old cat Susie would always try to take a bite for no reason. (Well, none that we knew of anyway.) She'd be lying in your lap, perfectly happy, purring away, then the ears would go back, and she'd try to bite you, often while still purring. She was perfectly healthy, happy, content, but just liked to bite. She'd telegraph her bites by folding her ears back and that was the clue to get your hand/arm out of her reach. She'd then look up at you disappointedly and stalk off because you wouldn't let her bite you. Cats just do what they do.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gizmogal   She mentioned TWICE in her opening post that he had been neutered!

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@gizmogal   She mentioned TWICE in her opening post that he had been neutered!

@Somertime 

Actually, when @gizmogal  asked, I hadn't mentioned it. 

I went back to the OP and did an ETA, stating he had been neutered, for anyone else who read the post after she inquired.   

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  When we had cats, they are love bites and play time pretty normal behavior, they have cabin fever and run around like a galloping horse it sounds like on the floor in the other room they are in.