Esteemed Contributor

Re: STRESS, BOREDOM OR SENILITY

https://www.rover.com/blog/canine-cognitive-dysfunction-major-symptoms/

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I had an older dog with dementia years ago.  She would stand and stare at the wall.  I think that could be the reason for Sadie's barking.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Shanus, since Sadie's bloodwork is good, why not talk to her vet about putting her on Anipryl?  When it originally came out it was being touted as a Cushing's medicine, but that didn't turn out to be true.  However, I believe it is still effective for senior dog cognitive disfunction.  At 14, if you can improve her quality of life, why not do so, even if the drug might have side effects that might shorten the length of her life.  It does not, to the best of my knowledge, but quality beats quantity every day in my book.

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Shanus, since Sadie's bloodwork is good, why not talk to her vet about putting her on Anipryl?  When it originally came out it was being touted as a Cushing's medicine, but that didn't turn out to be true.  However, I believe it is still effective for senior dog cognitive disfunction.  At 14, if you can improve her quality of life, why not do so, even if the drug might have side effects that might shorten the length of her life.  It does not, to the best of my knowledge, but quality beats quantity every day in my book.

@CamilleP  Good idea, but Sadie has Cushing’s & has been on meds for that for 3 yrs. The med you’re talking about would most likely interfere w/ her other meds. Thanks, though.

Respected Contributor

It might, but it might not, I'd still ask the vet about it, just in case it would be safe and help her.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus~

Just a thought.  Anything going on in your neighborhood that is new?  A new sound that we might not hear?  

Reason I ask is Phoenix only alert barked in the house.  Example ~ Never barked at "same" cars coming up the driveway, but a "different" sounding car, and he would alert.  Like our mail lady that had something that would not fit in the mailbox.  He alerted she was there, but I didn't hear her...etc.

Like I said, just a thought......  Good Luck.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

@Mistic wrote:

@Shanus~

Just a thought.  Anything going on in your neighborhood that is new?  A new sound that we might not hear?  

Reason I ask is Phoenix only alert barked in the house.  Example ~ Never barked at "same" cars coming up the driveway, but a "different" sounding car, and he would alert.  Like our mail lady that had something that would not fit in the mailbox.  He alerted she was there, but I didn't hear her...etc.

Like I said, just a thought......  Good Luck.  

@Mistic Nothing new going on, but a good thought.