Honored Contributor

STRESS, BOREDOM OR SENILITY

[ Edited ]

Not me, yet. Sadie at 14 has never been an indoor barker. Now she’s started barking for no apparent reason for 5 minutes at a time while looking around the room as if she’s not sure where she is, looking for something to do, etc. Pain’s been ruled out by vet. 

We dropped her at daycare yesterday. They have an old fa*t dog group that stay in the kitchen w/ the volunteers and socialize or nap, but have an eye kept on them. When I picked her up & inquired about her barking, they said she didn’t bark all day...interacted w/ a few other old doggies and napped a lot. 

So what do you think is up with Sadie?

Respected Contributor

Re: STRESS, BOREDOM OR SENILITY

Hmmmm. I don't know. It doesn't seem like stress in her home environment. It would seem to be more stressful at day care. But maybe she had more attention at day care.

That is interesting.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  How is her eyesight?  Is she having trouble finding her way around or finding you?  Fearful of walking around when she can't see as well?  She could want or need more of your time.  She'll behave differently in daycare than at home.  They always save their "best" (usually the best of their bad!) for their pack.

My Tyler will be 14 in October.  He sleeps a lot.  His eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, but he gets around.  I spent a few months recently trying to figure out if he was hearing me or not.  It took a while, but finally figured that he does hear me.  Just ignores me!  I keep willing him to be young again, but I just don't have the power to make that happen!

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@Shanus  How is her eyesight?  Is she having trouble finding her way around or finding you?  Fearful of walking around when she can't see as well?  She could want or need more of your time.  She'll behave differently in daycare than at home.  They always save their "best" (usually the best of their bad!) for their pack.

My Tyler will be 14 in October.  He sleeps a lot.  His eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, but he gets around.  I spent a few months recently trying to figure out if he was hearing me or not.  It took a while, but finally figured that he does hear me.  Just ignores me!  I keep willing him to be young again, but I just don't have the power to make that happen!

Hello @ItsME. Sadie’s eyes and everything else from ears to tip of tail were checked 2 wks. ago. All good...even blood work came back great! She sure hears well & dinner time when I pour her kibbles in...comes running from the back of the house. She definitely gets more attention at daycare than I give at home. That’s why we thought other dog companions might help, but expensive to send her every day. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus    When my boys bark, and the cause isn't obvious, I ask them what they want, and they will usually show me.  If that doesn't work, I'd just give her more loving.  Good for both of you!  Let us know if you figure it out.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@Shanus    When my boys bark, and the cause isn't obvious, I ask them what they want, and they will usually show me.  If that doesn't work, I'd just give her more loving.  Good for both of you!  Let us know if you figure it out.

@ItsME  Thanks for your interest in Sadie. She gets lots of hugs and love. At 14, every one of her days is precious. 💕

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  So then, maybe she's barking for her companions because she's bored and lonely for them (?)  I guess that could be it.  Dogs are supposed to be pack animals.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Shanus  So then, maybe she's barking for her companions because she's bored and lonely for them (?)  I guess that could be it.  Dogs are supposed to be pack animals.

@2blonde  Oh Sadie has her own “pack mate” at home, Molly is 5 & ready to play & be her buddy. It’s a mystery!

Esteemed Contributor

Dogs get dementia also, barking for no reason is one of the things they do.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Dogs get dementia also, barking for no reason is one of the things they do.

@CrazyDaisy  OMG. For real?