Valued Contributor

Well, here's one for the books. I have been a dog owner for decades, and I am completely baffled by the current behavior of my 7 pound, 6 year old male Maltese. I have had this breed for the last 20 years and this is a first. For the last 7 days SweetPea has sat in front of me and stared non-stop, for HOURS! I ask him what he wants, and none of the usual things, like "want a treat?", "want to go outside?", "want to go to bed?", "want to get on my lap?" or anything else budges him from his post, and his constant, uninterrupted staring. He was at the vet 3 days ago for his annual checkup and he is perfectly fine. He is eating well, drinking water, so I am not concerned about his health. Anybody have any ideas? I must say, its a bit unnerving.

Trusted Contributor

Re: STRANGE MALTESE BEHAVIOR

@furbabylover have you been to the Doctor and had a check up ?  Maybe he senses something .

Honored Contributor

Is the dog concerned about your health perhaps?  

Mom never knew when she had her mini stroke.   But after it showed up on the scan, she realized her doxie may have sensed the impending stroke, as there had been several days when the dog never got more than a few inches away from her.   The dog had never been that clingy before, and then she just stopped and went back to her normal behavior.   

Esteemed Contributor

I've had Jack Russells, and my older male would do that occasionally. It usually meant he wanted attention or to play a game. He invented games. 
  Perhaps toss a toy, sing a song, maybe do a baby hand game like church & steeple or snap your fingers. 
  I've started giving my 7 year old female a bit of Purina Bright Mind dog food it's good for mental health. I gave it to the older dog and think it helped. 

Respected Contributor

I thought the exact thing the other posters have said. Please see a doctor. The dog seems concerned about you. 

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover   I hate to say this, but maybe you should have YOUR HEALTH checked.  Maybe he senses something wrong with you.  The only time I've heard of dogs sitting and staring is when they're old and dementia is setting in.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Your pup wants to go for a walk or for you to play with him.  He could be bored.

Respected Contributor

@furbabylover  You mentioned a recent checkup.  Was he vaccinated at this visit?

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Valued Contributor

I am amazed that several here suggested that SweetPea may be concerned about my health. That did not occur to me, but the fact is I am going through a health issue that has cropped up in the last week. And on top of that, I am dealing with the recent diagnosis of my husband having early Alzheimer's. So there is a lot on my plate. Thank you all for the wake up call. I think I will visit a doctor tomorrow. Blessings to you all.

Valued Contributor

Yes, He got a rabies shot. There was no reaction as far as we could see.