Honored Contributor

My step daughter's dog sheds...a lot.   The dog does not have health issues, it's the breed....(Cavalier)

Any tips to help?  Supplements, oil on the skin?  There are vacuums that can be purchased to help release the shedding hair but expensive.  Just looking for any input.

thanks

Honored Contributor

@Carmie ...

(Cav parent)

Honored Contributor

Brush daily while shedding is on-going.  It's a natural process that is necessary for the dog's  well-being.

It'll soon decrease or cease.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Two words.  Room-ba.

I have two cats.  I can brush them for an hour straight and hair will just keep coming off.  If I don't brush them, they don't shed any more than normal.  Which is less if I brush them!

The Roomba is my saving grace. One upstairs (their room) and one downstairs (our living space).  Every day and sometimes twice a day....

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   One word......Shark

It sucks up hell.  I would not be surprised to see Lucifer Morningstar waving at me from inside my canister. 

I have a long haired cat & a short haired dog.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Contributor

Four days ago my husband and I adopted a 5 year old Basset hound. His owner passed away. We already have a 1/2 mini dauschund 1/2 basset and her shedding is minimal .

Well this new big boy sheds a lot! I bought a brush called the DEFURMINATOR and boy it gets all that undercoat out. Works like a charm. I would have gladly paid 3x as much for it.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Dog hair is the bane of my existence. I've lived with it, a lot of it, for 8 years. My dingo is double coated and sheds like crazy 9 months out of the year. I can brush him for an hour and get the same amount of hair at the end of the hour as I did at the beginning of the hour (siigh).  My doodle sheds also but it's nothing compared to the dingo. I watch a dog groomer YouTuber called the girl with dogs. She uses a deshedding shampoo. I've never tried it.  I don't know how it works. I walk out of my bedroom in the morning with a shark handheld vacuum cleaner and start vacuuming up hairballs.

It's just going to happen with certain breeds.  Brush, vacuum, repeat.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

All of my vacuum cleaners are shark. I love them! I have a regular Shark vacuum, I have a cordless full size shark vacuum and of the handheld Shark vacuums

Which shark vacuum do you have?

@Mom2Dogs 

LOL!

Honored Contributor

Just in case anyone is interested in looking for @RSSeal 's brush, it's called Furminator. I have one and she's right it works great.

Honored Contributor

I have two Cavaliers.  They all shed a lot.  I have had several over the years.

Invest in a good vacuum cleaner and be prepared to use it often.

They shed all year around, but much more so in the spring.  I have my dogs clipped short.  That really helps.

I brush them daily and use a tool to detangle their ears and collect loose hair.

My dogs like to be raked through with the tool on their body...on their ears, not so much.

I 100% recommend these two tools.  They work and I am always amazed at all the fur they collect.

I have a furminator, but it's awful for long hair dogs...

Give my love to your step daughters puppy.  I just love this breed.  They are so sweet.

IMG_2300.jpeg