Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I'm not @Kachina624, but as a long time owner of collies, I'll answer your question @Shanus.  My usual grooming bill for bath, haircut, and nails trimmed is about $100.  Sometimes it's slightly higher if the coat is a little matted or if the dog is heavily shedding.  And then I add a $20 tip to that.  My dogs get groomed every 3 - 4 months.  Yes, in my eyes that's kind of expensive, but it's a necessity.  An unkempt collie is not a pretty sight!

@Citrine1  Thanks for the explanation since I’ve only owned beagles....not much upkeep in the grooming department....nails cut, ears cleaned and a bath every few weeks unless they find something stinky to roll around in! Lol

Honored Contributor

There use to be really good rakes for grooming ,i bought them years ago ,down now to only 2 ,i have bought many new ones ,different brands ,none as good as old ones ,my two are falling apart ,teeth missing ,handle coming off , they are at least 20 years old.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest  @Citrine1  @Lapdog  @Shanus.  This is the tool I like for removing undercoat.  The blades are curved and long enough to reach the skin.

Screenshot_20180525-090011.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for that information @Kachina624.  I only use a brush as I've always been nervous using a rake type device on my dogs, but this is something I really should be using.  I'm going to go to Amazon and get a better look at it and probably order.  

By the way, I know you are aware that I have a 3 year old male tri.  About 3 weeks ago, I acquired a new puppy.  She's 14 weeks old now; female sable and white.  I've had several collies over the years, and I've had two dogs at a time for many of those years, but this is the first time I've had two rough coated collies at the same time.  Seems I'll be needing that raking tool more than ever now!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@goldensrbest  @Citrine1  @Lapdog  @Shanus.  This is the tool I like for removing undercoat.  The blades are curved and long enough to reach the skin.

Screenshot_20180525-090011.jpg

I have that one .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Thank you for that information @Kachina624.  I only use a brush as I've always been nervous using a rake type device on my dogs, but this is something I really should be using.  I'm going to go to Amazon and get a better look at it and probably order.  

By the way, I know you are aware that I have a 3 year old male tri.  About 3 weeks ago, I acquired a new puppy.  She's 14 weeks old now; female sable and white.  I've had several collies over the years, and I've had two dogs at a time for many of those years, but this is the first time I've had two rough coated collies at the same time.  Seems I'll be needing that raking

@Citrine1.    What?  No baby pictures?  We want to see pictures of your baby collie.  Did you see the one I posted recently of my friend's tri pup?  I was over to visit him last week and he's entering that awkward adolescent stage, losing soft puppy fur for the real thing.  He's 18 weeks old now.  Very friendly and sweet.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never been one to post pics, @Kachina624, but maybe I'll make an exception this time (after I figure out how).  Yes, I do remember that beautiful little pup of your friends -- we had discussed the breeder.  Glad he's friendly and sweet -- I've never met a collie that isn't!!

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Brady_Maggie.JPG@Kachina624  Had some trouble posting, but finally did it.  LOL  

Honored Contributor

Oh @Citrine1. They are absolutely beautiful!  The pup looks like she's going to have beautifully tipped ears too.  I give a collie extra points for having nicely tipped ears.  She's just at the age where the ear ligaments are forming.  Is she chewing everything in sight?  I'd like to give her a big cuddle.  She's marked just like my dog Bree who died just about a year ago.

What are their names?