Honored Contributor

šŸ¶ SADIEā€™S VET RESULTS šŸ¶

After she spent hours yesterday walking around the office with our vet, he concluded (after physical exam) that sheā€™s suffering from anxiety...common in older dogs. The excessive barking, poor appetite, etc. gave him the best clues. He checked her out for any pain and said back legs were weak (which we knew) so that results in her inability to get & stay ā€œin positionā€ long enough to do her business...accidents. 

Poor eyesight and loss of some hearing in senior dogs also cause anxiety. He suggested not changing her environment...keeping her dishes/doggy bed, etc. in same spots and being sure her routine remains on schedule. She trots down the hallway at 10PM to her dog bed in our room whether weā€™re ready for bedtime or not. When weā€™re not there, sheā€™s freaking out w/ the barking, etc. So, according to vet, I think he meant WE keep our routine the same? Thereā€™s a limit to that! 

So, Sadie Pearl is on Prosac (maybe we can share the RX šŸ˜œ). Sheā€™s made it more than 3 yrs. passed the expected life span with Cushing, but caught that early, no UTIs, blood work back mid-week, but the vet expects no surprises. He said beagles are a pretty hardy breed and he owned one that lived until 17. Iā€™ll definitely welcome 3 more years cuddled up to my old girl!! šŸ¶

Thanks to all who showed concern....šŸ’•

Honored Contributor

Re: šŸ¶ SADIEā€™S VET RESULTS šŸ¶

@Shanus     So hard when our loved family members get older.  I just went through my own vet visit with 10 year old Lola last week. She had a bout with what we suppose was a mild case of pancreatitis. 

You are a good pet Momma and Sadie is so fortunate to have you. I wish you many more years with her and that her years get less complicated for the both of you.    Sending love to both  you and Sadie...   ~SeaMaiden~

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus     So hard when our loved family members get older.  I just went through my own vet visit with 10 year old Lola last week. She had a bout with what we suppose was a mild case of pancreatitis. 

You are a good pet Momma and Sadie is so fortunate to have you. I wish you many more years with her and that her years get less complicated for the both of you.    Sending love to both  you and Sadie...   ~SeaMaiden~

@SeaMaiden  Sorry Lola had discomfort. That name was my first choice for Molly, but she just looked like a ā€œMollyā€ at 4 wks. when we saw her at the breeder. 

Thank you for the good wishes. All pet mamas of older pets get a gold star on their forehead. ā­ļø

Esteemed Contributor

You have a lot on your plate    {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus. Iā€™m so glad Sadieā€™s better! Some people say dogs canā€™t talk, sheā€™s been talking to you!

But Iā€™m sorry about your Mom, take care & maybe go to bed at 10!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Snickers wrote:

@Shanus. Iā€™m so glad Sadieā€™s better! Some people say dogs canā€™t talk, sheā€™s been talking to you!

But Iā€™m sorry about your Mom, take care & maybe go to bed at 10!

@1Snickers  Maybe Sadie has the right idea about an early bedtime. Last night she headed down the hallway as usual about 10. Sheā€™s a 12ā€ beagle and because the back legs donā€™t completely support her weight (only 18 lbs.), sheā€™s developed Marilyn Monroe type hip swing from the back. So funny to watch. We added a runner in the hall to give her traction on the hardwood floor & keeps looking back to see if weā€™re coming, too. Itā€™s so funny. We giggled once, but she got so insulted. Oh yes, besides feeling and talking, dogs, mine anyway, get embarrassed. Lol 

Honored Contributor

So sorry to read about your girl.  They're our babies! Smiley Happy