Honored Contributor

SAD UPDATE: DD's dog has lung cancer

[ Edited ]

DD's 10 year old rescue Pitt has lung cancer and we're all just devastated.

She just returned from the vet and is inconsolable right now, it just breaks my heart.

'Mama' also has heartworms which were too far advanced to treat when she was rescued from a puppy mill and has an enlarged heart as a result, which we already knew when DD adopted her 9 years ago.

Her vet is referring her to an oncologist, but feels that Mama may not be able to survive cancer treatment, due to her heart being so enlarged.

Mama's is the sweetest dog and lives with 9 indoors rescued cats and her Lab sister.

If you can spare any positive, healing thoughts or prayers for her, they'd be so much appreciated!Heart

SAD UPDATE: Mama has lost her battle with cancer.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DD's dog has lung cancer

I am so sorry for all of you.

It breaks my heart to read this as my dog passed a few years ago from cancer too.

In fact today I was putting pictures away and came across photos of her and cards that I received after she past away. So many tears shed.

It is so hard to lose a pet. You will never forget them.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom, so sad to read this.  I am sure the dog adores your daughter's family for the rescue.  As hard as it is, this is the time when the discussion must be had with the vet about what is best for the dog.  God bless when your family has to make this assessment.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Prayers for your sweet granddog Heart🙏

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I’m so sorry. My daughter’s rescue had heart worms but they were able to successfully treat it. It was touch-and-go for quite awhile, so I have some idea of how devastating this must be for your family. And cancer seems to take most of our fur babies from us. Each of my beagles died of a different cancer. It is just devastating. I have no words of wisdom. Just know that there are many of us whose hearts are breaking for you and your sweet granddog.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@KingstonsMom, so sad to read this.  I am sure the dog adores your daughter's family for the rescue.  As hard as it is, this is the time when the discussion must be had with the vet about what is best for the dog.  God bless when your family has to make this assessment.  LM

@Lilysmom

Thank you so much.

She's already decided that she won't let her suffer if the cancer treatment would be too hard on her.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all so much and my deepest sympathies on your losses.Heart

I know we've all been through it and how painful it was for all of us, but a little comfort sure helps.

Honored Contributor

Our prayers are with you and sweet 🐶 at this time. Most of us have been in your shoes so we feel your pain and decisions that need to be made. 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Honored Contributor

I found this poem and read it to her to hopefully not make her feel as bad, if she has to make that decision:

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---
Esteemed Contributor

So sorry to hear of your bad news.  Cancer really sucks, especially for those people or animals who did nothing to increase their chances of getting it.

She should take some comfort in the fact she gave her pooch a good home for 9 years.  Many dogs don't reach the age of 10.  Prayers to you all.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead