Esteemed Contributor

I have a small rug in my hallway near the garage door.  It is also near our downstairs powder room.  Our pet Chihuahua, Bailey seems to think it is his place to relieve himself there. I noticed an odor obviously and I  have removed the rug.  However I have no clue what to do. I have tried all kinds of sprays and nothing works.  I even dumped the rug in the sink (laundry tub) and the odor still remains.  The rug is 2 x 3 and has fringe.  I bought it on the Q.   A Royal Palace, soft green with design. ....  

Help, is there a product that would work. Bleach, perish the thought!

Esteemed Contributor

I have had luck with using the Don Aslett X/O spray to eliminate the odor. The stain may still be in the backing of the rug so I use Campenelli Carpet spray foam. BBB has a good spray..FOLEX(. It's in a white bottle with purple letterin.) Hope you have good luck with any of these. I have.

Valued Contributor

I would soak it in a white veingar/water solution.  I keep a spray bottle for slip-ups if I see it happening. Spray and then use a hand towel and pick up the vinegar water.  I don't think they will go there again if they smell the vinegar, but not sure about that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Rug Urine Odor help

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

This is from the Royal Palace Rug website.

Caring for Royal Palace®Rugs: Stain Removal
This chart will tell you how to treat variety of stains.  

We recommend using Woolite®, and also Nature's Miracle® for pet stains. For the detergent solution, mix 1 teaspoon of clear dishwashing liquid with 1 cup of warm water. For the vinegar solution, mix 1/3 cup white vinegar with 2/3 cup water.

Stain
Cleaning Method
AcidsDetergent/white vinegar
Alcoholic beveragesDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
Ammonia or AlkaliDetergent/White vinegar
Ball-point pen inkMethylated spirits or turpentine
BeerDetergent/White vinegar
BleachDetergent/White vinegar
BloodDetergent/White vinegar or Starch Paste
Burning cigaretteBrush off with a hard edge
ButterCleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
CandyDetergent/White vinegar or scrape and vacuum
Cellulose paintAcetone (nail polish remover)
Chewing gumDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
ChocolateDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
CoffeeGlycerine
CosmeticsDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
CrayonDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores) or scrape and vacuum
EggDetergent/White vinegar
Excrement (human)Detergent/White vinegar (remove at once - chemicals in excrement attack dyestuffs)
Excrement (pet)Call a reputable cleaner
Fat and OilTissue and iron, then cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores) (Do not use iron after solvent)
Fruit and juicesDetergent/White vinegar
Furniture polishDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
GlueAlcohol
GrassMethylated spirits
GravyDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
GreaseCleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores) or scrape & vacuum
Household cementDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
Ice creamDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
InkWater only
IodineAlcohol
JamLukewarm water
LipstickDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
MedicineCall a reputable cleaner
Metal polishDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
MildewCall a reputable cleaner
MilkDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
MudDetergent/White vinegar
MustardDetergent/White vinegar
Nail polishPolish Remover
OilsCleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
PaintDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
PerfumeDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
Permanent inkCall a reputable cleaner
RustCall a reputable cleaner
Salad dressingDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
SaucesDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
Shoe polishDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores) or scrape and vacuum
SootVacuum, then cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
TarCleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
TeaDetergent/White vinegar
Urine (human)Detergent/White vinegar (remove at once-chemicals inn urine attack dyestuffs)
Urine (pet)Call a reputable cleaner
VomitDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
WaxCleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores) or scrape & vacuum
WineDetergent/White vinegar or cleaning solvent (available at drug, grocery, and hardware stores)
Valued Contributor

@bonnielu  Go to Pet Smart and get Nature's Miracle.  Works like magic.  I have cats and their urine is the worst!

Frequent Contributor

I've had elderly, incontinent dogs. Biokleen Bac-Out Stain and Odor Remover works great on floors and rugs. I also use it occasionally on the floors around the toilet to get rid of any splatter urine smells. It made of live enzyme producing cultures and lime peel.