Respected Contributor

Road Trips With Pets Advice Needed

DH & I are taking a road trip from Fla to Nebr & we are taking our Chi's Carlita & Lola.  They traveled well when we located from S Fla to Orlando.  However, a 4 hr trip compared to a 22 hr trip is a different matter.  I am getting the below booster seat.  Any other tips or suggestions from those of you that have had long road trips with your dogs?

IMG_0202.JPG

Respected Contributor

Re: Road Trips With Pets Advice Needed

Sounds like a fun trip. I believe the pups will do fine. We have traveled many times with our dogs at one time we had 5 chis and a French Bulldog and they all just sleep. I have a fold up water bowl I use for walking them and for trips. Just make sure to have enough of their food. I forgot ours once and it was hard to find their kind of food. We've taken many long trips with ours and they always do well. 

Have a great trip! 

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much @Lali1!  They sleep a lot anyway & the tip on the food is much appreciated!

Respected Contributor

You're welcome. It's hard to remember not to forget things lol I write a list before trips. 

We once stopped at a closed rest stop to let the Frenchie go potty. Poor Jackson the grass was high it was dark and there was an ant bed he stepped in. He got so many bites it was awful. I felt horrible. Poor baby. So just beware of high grass when stopping to let them potty. 

Super Contributor

Enjoy your time together as a family. We've had our poodles to Branson, Florida, Canada, a farm, out west where potty patches are hard to find, and local places. My suggestions: 

1. Take any copies of immunization records with you, along with vet contact info.

2. Take treats that are soft and easily chewable.

3 one of our poodles doesn't like to drink on the road, so sometimes I have to encourage fluids. Take a syringe without a needle in case you need to "encourage" fluids. Or take a kids sippy cup-- that works too I have discovered. Pours water easily down the hatch!

4. Don't get in a rush. Take bathroom potty breaks for the four legged traveling companions.

5. Diaper wipes comes in handy for the furry bottoms and dirty paws! We go thru diaper wipes at home and on the road like parents of a newborn.

6. Pet stores sell calming tablets in case yours get anxious during travel.

7. Remember any necessary medication, flea drops, heart worm pills, etc.

These are the biggest things that have helped my family. Have fun, stay safe, and I hope you make wonderful memories that will last. Don't forget to take pictures of your little doggies while on the road!

Respected Contributor

@Posh Poodle wrote:

Enjoy your time together as a family. We've had our poodles to Branson, Florida, Canada, a farm, out west where potty patches are hard to find, and local places. My suggestions: 

1. Take any copies of immunization records with you, along with vet contact info.

2. Take treats that are soft and easily chewable.

3 one of our poodles doesn't like to drink on the road, so sometimes I have to encourage fluids. Take a syringe without a needle in case you need to "encourage" fluids. Or take a kids sippy cup-- that works too I have discovered. Pours water easily down the hatch!

4. Don't get in a rush. Take bathroom potty breaks for the four legged traveling companions.

5. Diaper wipes comes in handy for the furry bottoms and dirty paws! We go thru diaper wipes at home and on the road like parents of a newborn.

6. Pet stores sell calming tablets in case yours get anxious during travel.

7. Remember any necessary medication, flea drops, heart worm pills, etc.

These are the biggest things that have helped my family. Have fun, stay safe, and I hope you make wonderful memories that will last. Don't forget to take pictures of your little doggies while on the road!

@Posh Poodle, excellent advise & I cannot thank you enough!  We will be traveling through some beautiful country we haven't seen yet.  Our girls are 12 & 9; not hyper at all  The sippy cup & baby wipes is the best!  Stay tuned & thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You've gotten some great advice, and I'll bet your babies will be fine.  Have you gotten good harnesses to wear in the car seat?  There are harnesses specifically made for walking and others that are made for riding, although for the riding ones you can use them for walking, too.  I'm sure you have, but that's something that could be overlooked if you weren't thinking about it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack, again fabulous advise!  Didn't know there were duo walking/riding harnesses.  There are attachments with the booster seat I got for them that is also hooked with the backseat seat belts.  Your tip will be on my shopping list, much appreciated!

Respected Contributor

Carlita & Lola thank you all for your great advise!  

IMG_1478.JPG

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

AAA puts out a special travel guide just listing and reviewing every pet-friendly lodging like motels/hotels and places for kennel care in every single state, by city. You do not have to be a AAA member to obtain the guide, but I think it's about $15. If you intend to stay overnight and want the pups in the room with you, this guide is hugely helpful for planning your overnight stops.  Or knowing where pet services might be available.

http://www.aaa.com/PetBook/

Bring all along immunization records and also a dated letter from the vet vouching for the dogs' state of good health at a recent checkup. Proving the dogs are healthy will get more flexibility in getting accommodations, even if it's a pet-friendly location. 

Keep dogs leashed when walking aaround on a  potty or exercise break. Dont  assume they are older and quiet and won't run if spooked in an unfamiliar location, or if confronted by some other animal. They are still dogs and leashes give you control and protection. 

Know the weather where you're going. Bring their little sweaters if you think it will be chilly at night or even by day.

Scotchguard spray their car bed with a couple of light sprays on the interior.   If done a week or so before departure it will not have any smell or affect the dogs, but it is a terrific, easy protection if there is an accident or throw up while traveling. Mess will not stain their bed/car seat and cleanup is much more tidy with scotchguard applied. 

Don't ever ever leave them alone in a locked car.  (But you know that already!)

Have a great trip. Don't worry. They'll mostly sleep.  And they'll be happy to be with you.