Honored Contributor

I have two dogs that I got as puppies.  One of them used to play with toys and leave them all over the house.  After about a year, she was no longer interested.  The other one has never played with toys from day one.

Neither one will pay tug o war or ball or frisbee.  They both like to take walks outside and sniff everything they can. One lives to swim, the other one doesn't.

They seem happy, so I guess that is their normal.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart  Such a good mommy to rescue and be concernerd about 'play".  I would just give him lots of hugs and always let him know he is loved (which I'm sure you are already doing).  My little boy has decided it is too hot outside and will take care of his business and run to push the kitchen door open to get back to his air conditioned house!  But on the bed he can be a beast, he gathers his lambie, bone, and ball and amuses himself.  Every dog has their own personality,  Yours had a very rough beginning.  I know he feels loved and safe and that is what is most important.  Don't worry as long as he is healthy and getting walks.  Much respect and love for being rescue mom.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rescue dog won't play

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

I found my sweet boy at the ARL after he and 4 other dogs were rescued from a cruel and negligent environment.  He was 2 when I brought him home.  He's now 5-1/2.  He will not play.  I've tried soooooo many different kinds of toys and options and he is not interested.  He loves the back yard so I've tried playing there too.  Perhaps he's one that just doesn't want to play?   

Any suggestions?

@CalminHeart 

None of my dogs,and I have had many over my 80 yr old life, ever played for more than 2 minutes.I think ,"play" is exgaerated !

Bless you for saving him <3

Esteemed Contributor

When we rescued Simon at age 6 1/2 from a home that did not want him, he would not play and he never played.  He came with his monkey, which he carried around, and he liked walks and car trips.  

Just as some people do not want to socialize, some dogs do not want to play.  The most important things are that you rescued him and love him.  That is more than good enough.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Rescue dog won't play

[ Edited ]

We resued our collie about 3 years ago. He does not play. Not interested in catching a ball, playing with toys or biting a stick. We think he and the other 10 dogs he grew up with were just hanging out in a barn and did not have much contact with humans.

He is still a great dog, follows us everywhere and is a first rate companion. Wish he would play but he isn't interested. Must say all his toys are still in pristine condition.

Honored Contributor

I've had many dogs, and the first one I've had that really plays is the french bulldog that I have now.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

They're so playful and funny. My Frenchie is a riot. He will play with almost anything. He'll be 9 tomorrow and is still very playful. 

Valued Contributor

First, thank you for rescuing!  One thing I learned is that not all breeds will play.  You can try different toys though to see if any will be well received.  I have rescued a chow and a shar pei (both older than 8 yrs) and neither breed seemed into play.  One toy that they both liked was a treat ball.  The kind that you put trats inside and they roll it around to get the treats to fall out.  Nothing else would pique their interest.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I found my sweet boy at the ARL after he and 4 other dogs were rescued from a cruel and negligent environment.  He was 2 when I brought him home.  He's now 5-1/2.  He will not play.  I've tried soooooo many different kinds of toys and options and he is not interested.  He loves the back yard so I've tried playing there too.  Perhaps he's one that just doesn't want to play?   

Any suggestions?  

It's wonderful that you rescued your dog from such a horrible situation. That'd be my first clue that he may have been so traumatized & he never learned to play. If he's happy, loving and healthy, the not playing may just have to be accepted. 

Honored Contributor

I've owned a lifetime's worth of rescued dogs and never had one yet who cared for toys.  My dogs were mostly young adults when I got them.  I think they have to be introduced to toys at a very early age and shown what to do with them. I think the retriever breeds are more likely to be interested. None of mine were.   I think it's so cute to see a dog carrying a toy in its mouth. 

@Shawne   Yep, that's the typical method a sheltie will use to get YOU to play with toys.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment