Honored Contributor

I found my sweet boy at the ARL after he and 4 other dogs were rescued from a cruel and negligent environment.  He was 2 when I brought him home.  He's now 5-1/2.  He will not play.  I've tried soooooo many different kinds of toys and options and he is not interested.  He loves the back yard so I've tried playing there too.  Perhaps he's one that just doesn't want to play?   

Any suggestions?  

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart

@CalminHeart wrote:

I found my sweet boy at the ARL after he and 4 other dogs were rescued from a cruel and negligent environment.  He was 2 when I brought him home.  He's now 5-1/2.  He will not play.  I've tried soooooo many different kinds of toys and options and he is not interested.  He loves the back yard so I've tried playing there too.  Perhaps he's one that just doesn't want to play?   

Any suggestions?  

I have tries everything g also.  My was three.  I,'ve had her 8 years.  One speciAl toy, her first, but not so much now.  Just walks, the park, and lots of love.

Honored Contributor

I honestly don't know if there is something you can do.  Is he fine otherwise?  Has he bonded and attached with you?

My dog doesn't really play either.  She will grab a toy, we'll go outside, I'll throw it, she'll run around the yard a little, but never go after the toy and then run to the deck to go back inside. 

I've had dogs in the past that wanted nothing to do with playing with toys.        

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart  I had a shephard/collie mix that didn't like to play.  He did love his long walks though  In an effort to get him to play so many toys were tried to no avail.  We got him a large rubber chicken and if we squeaked it he would cry and take it and cuddle with it seemingly to comfort it.  A few times a month he would roughhouse with my SO but usually showed no interest in it.  He was 1 1/2 when we adopted him and that's the way he was his whole life.

Respected Contributor

First thank you for rescuing the pup. Some dogs don't play. They either never have except when they were pups with their little mates or they just aren't into it. I have 4 dogs the chihuahuas don't play much if at all and the French bulldog plays all the time. Maybe walks are more his thing. Or maybe take him to a dog park and see what happens. As long as he's eating and feeling fine I wouldn't worry. 

Honored Contributor

Bless you for taking in your rescue furbaby.

My 2 labs never played, except in the water.

Have you ever been able to take him to a lake or pond?

@CalminHeart

Esteemed Contributor

I have a great dog too.  She really does not play either.  She loves to pick up her toys and run around the house when she is excited.  But that is about it.  I would love to play tug of war with her, but she is not interested.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

Have you tried the toys where they look like a fox or a squirrel and they have velcro so you can put an empty water bottle inside. It makes a crunching and popping noise when they chew on it. Our Gracie will not play with toys either except this one and she plays with it occasionally.  

Esteemed Contributor

Every dog is different.  I have two, one has never played with toys the other thinks they are the best thing ever made.  Would suggest finding something your dog likes to do and have fun doing it with him.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Re: Rescue dog won't play

[ Edited ]

Play with toys?  Not sure why it is necessary.  As long as they get good exercise from walking or agility or something you are ok and you give your dog daily interaction, as in talking, encouraging it to follow and join you around the house.   I had a sheltie.  We walked.  This is how "we" played ball---i threw the ball, she ran to it, circled it and barked for me to come and get it!  No matter what i did, that, was her game!