Honored Contributor

Every dog is different and some just simply don't like to play.  I think it comes down to personality and, of course, what their previous household(s) was like before you rescued them. Some dogs were scolded when they tried to play because it was disruptive or they were "too rambunctious", never allowed to play so don't really "get" the concept, etc so getting them to start playing may or may not happen.

Another thing is, some dogs play differently. Some don't like to chase balls, they like to chew on stuffy toys. Some only like to play with other dogs and not people so much. Some like to just chew on rubbery type toys and hate stuffy toys. Some only like to swim and chase toys in the pool. They are all so different but since you've already tried a variety of toys and play methods, see if taking him to a friend's house with another playful dog will get him to play with them. 

But you must also realize that the dog may never "learn" to enjoy play and just living in a peaceful environment now with you is heaven on earth and "fun" to him. Heart

Honored Contributor

Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts on my baby.   It's rather funny that I never had a pet until I was in my 60s.  I heard his story at ARL and had to take him home. 

It may be that he won't play which is fine.  We go on walks and hang out in the yard.  Given his abuse, he'll never be a totally normal dog but he loves and trusts me and I absolutely adore him.  He knows he is loved and safe now.  

Super Contributor

He is blessed and you are blessed. Doesnt get much better.

Honored Contributor

"Play" to you means something different than it does to your dog.  Given his background, he may never have learned how to play as we perceive it, either from his mother and littermates or in a home environment.

Most of my dogs, rescue or not, were not interested in toys after about two years old or so.  Only the last dog I had continued to like "possessions" all her life.  (We used to call her "The Material Girl".)  

Perhaps at this point in his life your dog is more than happy with the peace and stability that you are now providing for him.   And thank you for doing so.❤️

Valued Contributor

Other dogs can teach him, he really needs to learn from his own kind. Can you take him to a doggy day care now and then?

Respected Contributor

Sounds  like he had a hard life. Just love him as he is.  You may also have a vet check him  maybe he is sick and in pain  and cant play?

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I found my sweet boy at the ARL after he and 4 other dogs were rescued from a cruel and negligent environment.  He was 2 when I brought him home.  He's now 5-1/2.  He will not play.  I've tried soooooo many different kinds of toys and options and he is not interested.  He loves the back yard so I've tried playing there too.  Perhaps he's one that just doesn't want to play?   

Any suggestions?  

@CalminHeart

Every abused rescue dog is different.   Sounds like he hasn't had much exposure to other doggies since his adoption.  

Are there any other dogs in your neighborhood that you could visit or invite over for a play date?  Do you have any dog parks in your area?    What has your Vet said about this?   

My guess is that with another playful dog (or, better yet ... a  puppy!)  becoming his "new friend", he might learn some new tricks.  

I'm sure you can find a way to expand his "social life", which might be all that he needs .... it worked well for our rescue dog.    

Trusted Contributor

I adopted a dog who was raised by an elderly woman.   She was 9 yr old and Never played with any toy in the 6 yrs I had her.   She did not know what to do with them.  Sometimes, when they are never exposed to toys, they never get used to them.   Learn what your precious pup enjoys and go with it, whether it is walks, rides in the car, watching out the window, or whatever.   Don't lament one activity.   Observe any learn.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

My vet is not concerned.  My dog has come to like 3 other dogs and they've been together many times.  My dog just doesn't like to play.  I've decided all the abuse and neglect from time before me changed him.  He'll never be a completely normal dog but it's ok with me.   I love him and he loves me.