Respected Contributor

Rescue dog groups hard to work with

I have been looking at dog rescues online and they won't even tell you about a dog until you fill out an application on line.  I would not mind filling out an application but don't want to go through all that if the dog I am interested in has a problem that I could not deal with like hating other dogs, etc.   I finally started to fill out an application and OMG the questions never ended.  I know they want to find a good home for these dogs.  One wanted phone numbers of three friends.  I am not giving that out. Another wanted to know if you had a fence and what it was made of and how high it was and on and on.   The wanted to do a home visit and follow up visits.  Also there was one that gave discounts for Senior dogs for seniors.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Rescue dog groups hard to work with

Go to the ARL and rescue a dog. Yes, they ask questions too but it's in the best interest of the animal. 

I appreciate rescues that check out people interested in taking an animal.  There are way too many animal abusers and they are protecting the animals. Those are the ones who care. 

Bottom line: How much do you really want a dog if you aren't willing to jump through a few hoops?  

Trusted Contributor

Another question:  how much do these places really want to be able to place a dog in a loving home if their process is intrusive and discouraging before a person can even show interest in a particular dog or read a profile of the animal?  How much success do they expect when the motivation to adopt is thwarted by questions of such detail and compromise of privacy that the prospect goes elsewhere or loses interest entirely? 

I think many of these rescue places are much too full of their own good intentions. It keeps their kennels full, too. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet wrote:

I have been looking at dog rescues online and they won't even tell you about a dog until you fill out an application on line.  I would not mind filling out an application but don't want to go through all that if the dog I am interested in has a problem that I could not deal with like hating other dogs, etc.   I finally started to fill out an application and OMG the questions never ended.  I know they want to find a good home for these dogs.  One wanted phone numbers of three friends.  I am not giving that out. Another wanted to know if you had a fence and what it was made of and how high it was and on and on.   The wanted to do a home visit and follow up visits.  Also there was one that gave discounts for Senior dogs for seniors.   

I agree with you, I had the same experience.  Felt like I was adopting a child.  

Don't mind answering questions, but it was a bit much.  One application wanted to get in contact with my last two veterinarians of my last pet.

Also, come to visit my home and pet at anytime unannounced.  

I was done and said forget it. 

Appreciate them wanting the animal to go to a loving home.  Just too time consuming and personal for me. 

Purchased an AKC pet and he is delightful, beautiful and great temperment.   

Esteemed Contributor

I agree 100%....went through the same thing. I have had dogs in my life since I was 13. Always got them spayed and took them to the Vet. I had Maltese and a Toy Poodles for the last 30 years that went to get groomed every 6 weeks.

I DID fill out the application even though I also found it very intrusive. I wanted a small dog (any age under 13 pounds). No large dog or Pit bull.

I am retired, in good health and home 90% of the time....

Never heard back and they gave the one Shih Tzu that I had hoped to get to a young family with kids. They have since gave the dog back since the adults went back to work and the kids went back to School. The poor dog chewed up carpet and shoes out of boredom.

I just went to a well known breeder and paid for a Morkie. She is the best little dog...but I feel sad for the poor little Shih Tsu.

I'm sorry but I would NEVER go thru the rescues here again.

Respected Contributor

Sorry you feel this way about the information rescue groups ask for.  I volunteered with a no kill rescue shelter for over 20 years and they asked those questions back then and for good reason.  These dogs have been through enough and they only want people who are serious about making a committment adopting.  

Maybe you don't realize why the questions are so important.  The group I volunteered with required a fenced yard after having several dogs hit by cars or chained up in yards for days on end.  They absolutely required references and checked with vets to ensure the dogs were going to someone who had shown they would and could care for a pet.  I made home visits and was very respectful when I did.  You can get a good idea if a dog won't work in a particular situation.  We also made a follow up visit (and sometimes several) after a dog was placed to be sure the dog was ok with the placement and was actually there.  There are bad people out there..........

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

@chiclet    You are making a generalization that simply isn't true.  I worked with Southwest Collie Rescue for 20 years, devoted many hours drove hundreds of miles transporting dogs, fostered dogs in my home and adopted more than a few, all my my own expense.

I find the MOST rescue groups are not only willing to discuss their dogs but have pictures of them on their websites.  They do require an application on file before they will commit a dog to any individual.

They are concerned about the safety of dogs they trust to an adopter so they will naturally ask about fencing and may require a home visit.  I've done many of them myself.  If you don't want to comply with these requirements, go get a pup at animal control as they don't care.

We had one volunteer who took her own beautiful, calm collie with her on home visits to see how children reacted to the dog.  If they teased the dog or the parents were indifferent to their treatment of it, they could forget adopting from us.  Yes, we were particular.

Why shouldn't they give a "seniors for seniors" discount for older dogs that are very hard to place and often require expensive medical care?  Bless the seniors who'll adopt them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree @chiclet , they need to be less aggressive with their application, if they want to place dogs! And given the amount of homeless dogs, it would serve the dogs and the potential owners!  But I don't think all Rescue organizations are quite like that- 
I got my rescue dog through a small, local Rescue. The lady was nice and she could tell we were in it for the right reasons. Not a million questions.
But, I do think it's common for them all to ask for references- I remember doing that, and also giving a reference for a friend of mine! 
Best wishes. I adore my quirky sweet rescue dog! 💝💝

Honored Contributor

It's the same with cat rescues.  I got my last 3 cats through them, but the process and rules are a bit overbearing.  I had to send pics of the inside of my house to one.  Of course, you can't let them go outside.  But, that makes me wonder about people who might want barn cats.  I had already decided before my last indoor/outdoor cat died I would only be doing indoor, but if I didn't let that cat out, she would go on the carpet, both pee and poop.  She also ruined a nice oriental rug and I still have stains on the wood flooring.  So, I do have a problem with all-encompassing rules.  

Respected Contributor

Chiclet, I'm sorry that you did not have a good experience with your recent search for a fur child.

After the death of my last fur daughter, (my second Sheltie) I wanted to adopt a rescue dog.

I went online and saw the sweetest terrier mix. I e-mailed the rescue organization (based in Louisiana) and said I was interested. I received a call back that very day. I received some information but then was given the name and number of her foster mother (a nurse who was working on a COVID unit, who was lovely). We talked and I knew she was the one. To be honest, I had no problem with filling out the application and was happy to give references. I was surprised they wanted my vets number but then realized they wanted to ensure not only would I love her but would take care of her. Fencing is important although not a deal breaker. I don't have a fence but promised leash walks only. I didn't see the questions as intrusive but necessary. There are many bad people in the world sadly and they need to be careful.

I hope that you might give another rescue organization a chance. Adopting my little love was the best thing I ever did. We are very happy together.