Trusted Contributor

Re: Rescue dog groups hard to work with

I DON"T see anything wrong with the process. The application and the questions serve a PURPOSE. The resuce groups want to make sure the dogs are going to a GOOD home.

Esteemed Contributor

Going to a rescue is not like shopping for a new dog.  They want to match the dog up with the best possible home, not the first one interested.   Most rescues foster these dogs in homes so they have a better knowledge of their personnalities, quirks and problems.  With an application on file many places will call you when one that would be perfect for you may come available.

If you want to just hand pick one, you could go to a shelter.  There will be much less, if any, information about the dog but you will have that instant gradification.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I filled out the lengthy application and sent it in and never heard back.  Not telling me dog is adopted or I don't qualify because my house is not the right color etc etc.  Small dogs that are not seniors or special care are scarce.   A neighor said that when these come in maybe the volunteers grab them up and just keep them and or make sure they go to someone they know.  Almost all the dogs at rescues are big dogs.  I feel sorry for them but I have never been a big dog person.  I am giving up on rescues. I am also giving up on craigslist.  Mostly scammers there.  They advertize dogs but when you ask questions about their shots, health, proof of DOB and medical history they never respond.   I guess when the right dog at right time comes i will get it or maybe it is not meant to be.  

Honored Contributor

A basic questionnaire should suffice to determine if the dogs available are ones of interest to the potential adopter. Later, after a dog is selected, a more detailed application should be required. As it is now, the organization is missing out and their dogs are missing out on finding the best homes.

Respected Contributor

ITA about rescue groups which operate that way; not all of them do.I think breed-specific dog rescue groups are apt to be more intrusive.

When we adopted our cat, we went to a local shelter, which did not require an online app to be completed. We went in person, as everyone else does. Also, no "home visit," as that would not be happening.

We were, however, given a questionnaire, which I (not DH!) completed--sort of. I left blank a couple of ridiculous questions, one of which was "Is your home more of a library, or more of a [....] " Sure, they'd like to know about kids, other pets, how much you think it costs annually to care for a pet, etc. but many of those questions are there to help match people with pets. No one returned the questionnaire to me, telling me, "you didn't answer two ridiculous questions" lol.

We've had pets together for decades, and also , as children. We don't need an "adoption counselor," and the staff wasn't pushy, anyway. If their objective is to find homes for as many animals as possible, they'll view applications as a means to bring together pet and prospective owner, and not make the process intrusive and overly-cumbersome.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@chiclet    All the cute fluffy, small dogs are at Carolyn Grace's house.  How one person manages to score so many cute dogs is beyond me.  My guess is she gives publicity and donates generously.

If you've ever seen any of her videos, she appears to have 5 or 6 such dogs which she claims are rescues.  Surely more than her share.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I have been looking at dog rescues online and they won't even tell you about a dog until you fill out an application on line.  I would not mind filling out an application but don't want to go through all that if the dog I am interested in has a problem that I could not deal with like hating other dogs, etc.   I finally started to fill out an application and OMG the questions never ended.  I know they want to find a good home for these dogs.  One wanted phone numbers of three friends.  I am not giving that out. Another wanted to know if you had a fence and what it was made of and how high it was and on and on.   The wanted to do a home visit and follow up visits.  Also there was one that gave discounts for Senior dogs for seniors.   

@chiclet    I agree.... I do not have numbers of three friends. One also asked me who I could ask to take the animal in my demise.... like WTF?

Honored Contributor

I never knew how much a potential rescuer was vetted till we adopted a dog for our dog several years ago.  We had to fill out a form but I don't recall how detailed the questions were.  Then they brought the dog for us to meet and see if we were a good match.  At that time we were told that the shelter did a drive by a few days earlier.  We will ALWAYS rescue dogs in need whether it be one that finds us, we find them on the side of the road (or the middle of the road) or rescue one from a shelter.